Message Boards

Messages By: missshari

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
frustrated
August 16, 2005, 2:22 pm CDT

It seems to me that....

Some schools take a no tolerence policy,but don't follow up on it. My daughter's school says it does but never have I seen it in action. Both of my daughter's have been bullied out of the school they were attending,and I did everything right...went to the teacher,administrator,etc. The teacher said deal with it, the administrator did conflict resolution,then told me that the child in question has a rough homelife(excuse me that doesn't give the right to bully),sorry that is an excuse and only an excuse. 

My dh was watching today and he was so upset with the bullies. He commended Dr. Phil on putting it on the parents of the bullies. It is up to the parents to be parents. That to me is why alot of the children who bully are being like this they want thier parents to step up and put boundries up.   

We have taught our daughters to find thier passion and be proud of it, all it has gotten them is bullied. Although they still have thier passions, our youngest is to be a missionary,she is very outgoing cause I knew what was going on and tried to stop it alas to know avail,our teen is writting,she use to be very out going,but has since gotten very quiet and suffers from depression,they were both bullied out of school. 

Thank you  

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
happy
August 17, 2005, 7:05 am CDT

I do homeschool my daughters

Quote From: jettav

Check out www.homeschool.com, it might provide some info for you. I think if you do a google search on homeschooling, you should be able to find what you are looking for. I honestly don't think it would cost any more then private school, I would think it would be cheaper. I know what you mean aboout loving to be home with your children, I wouldn't have it any other way personally. And though my oldest is starting a Christian Preschool this Fall, I am still considering homesschooling, I think there are so many advantages of it. Follow your heart and God bless as you enjoy your little ones.

Homeschooling cost as much as you wish to spend on it.  There are many different curriculums as well as styles of homeschooling. We follow the follow the lead of the child method..my youngest is interested in the Mission Field..so that is this years focus and the country of Africa as this is where she would like to be. She is almost 11yrs.old and this has been on her heart for over two years now. Our 16 year old is into computers and graphic design..so this is the focus.  

They get alot of socialization..since I know this will come up, with all ages. 

I have been a stay at home mom for over 28 years..Yes I also have an adult daughter who wasn't homeschooled. 

Being able to be a stay at home mom is hard,as we live paycheck to paycheck,but the rewards are wonderful.  I have had to works sometimes,and just wasn't happy leaving my children or dh to fend for themselves, I have also go on trips with my mom(we try to do this every year)...my dh can't function if I am not here,but my children do fine,however they like me home. 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
happy
August 19, 2005, 6:04 pm CDT

Wow Thank you.......

Quote From: jettav

You definetly sound like a wonderful mother and wife. I have always had the desire to be home with my children. I have worked in several centers and though i have always enjoyed my jobs and all, I just could not imagine having to put my children in a center for the day and have otehrs watch them, I feel that my calling right now is to be a stay at home mom to my two little ones and thankfully I have a husband who feels teh exact same way as I do and supports in this decission, For me, it has more ups then downs and even witht he down times, I wouldn't change this choice for nothing. I think to be a good stay at home parent, one must have the love, support and respect from her family and I certainly have that and my husband and i work as a team in taking care of our girls and I do whatever I can to help bring income into the home as needed as I do odd jobs for a friend and I don't have to worry about paying out money for a sitter. Homeschooling is also something on my heart to do and as we still have a couple years before my girls are in school. I do have my oldest enrolled in a christian preschool for the fall and she will probably go oto kindergarten there and starting first grade, I really am considering the homeschooling as I think it has so many great benefits and they can definetly get the social skills that they need by going this route and to teach and to learn together I believe can be such a wonderful experience and I love the idea of my children being able to study what they are interested in, I believe learning needs to be fun and of course a littel bit of challenge doesn't huret either but I think it is very imporant for children to be able to learn at their own paces and for some that just is not possible in the system. Of course I teach my children now, here at home and I am proud of the progress that my girls are making for their young little age, My oldest is reading and already doing basic addition and she and her little sister are very socialable, not lacking anything there, that's for sure. :). Myhusband doesn't function too well when I am not home either, he survives, that'a about it. I freeze leftovers and make sure that htere are frozen dinners in the freezer for him and if the girls are with him, I make sure he knows what to do though he does very with them, He is a wonderful father, husabnd and my greatest friend and supporter. I believe God gave us our littel ones to teach and to help them to grow up into good productive adults to love and to serve Him and to me that is a great gift and honor, though not always easy but definetly rewarding.

for the compliment. Sound like you have a plan on how to educate your daughters.be prayerful when finally deciding and please feel free to email me if you have any questions or need advise(statosian711@comcast.net)    I will be glad to answer any you have. 

My dh is a very good cook and can fend for himself in that area, it is the bill paying area that he is at a loss with, seems strange cause he was fine till we got married...go figure. 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
happy
August 20, 2005, 5:32 pm CDT

Hi there

Quote From: smmacleod

Well, I am hopeschooling my two boys this year. We started in the summer. We do 1/2 days 6 days a week and then our Sunday lesson. Both of my boys are Bi-Polar/ADHD etc. There are days we do a page and stop for 15 minutes. It depends on their activity and attention. After we move I am hoping to put them in a gymnastics or martial arts. I want them to have the activity and contact. 

I am willing to take any advice. I just ordered Switched On Schoolhouse which are used in the ADHD/Bi-Polar schools I looked into. There are tons of free items on-line. SM MacLeod 

I homeschool my daughters, well just one this year cause my 16 year old graduated this past June after six years of homeschooling. Our 11 year old will be homeschooled this year, we start homeschooling from 5th grade on,cause I don't like the class size for the uppper grades and I always find out that my girls can't do basic math. 

Our 11 year old daughter is ADHD with violent tendencies,not on medication cause when she is allowed to be a child,she is fine also with positive behavior modifications she has learned to control herself. 

We use Sonlight ...just the catalog for great book recommendations, many free resources,cause I don't care for "box curriculum" as I don't like the structure and the amount of time that it requires. I have a friend who uses ABEKA video and to me that is just like being in a classroom,but she isn't planning on homeschooling through highschool. 

Sounds like you are doing what you have found that works best for you and that is most important. We are starting the Monday after Labor Day,and following a Christian School's Calendar in our area, that doesn't take alot of days off. 

Having outside activities is great,just don't get yourself to stretched cause that will cause burnout and such. 

Shari 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
hopeful
August 24, 2005, 5:14 pm CDT

Cathy I totally understand

Quote From: tcghbroome

My kids are to young for schooling, but I'm not sure about the home schooling idea.  I do want to be home when they do come home from school though.  I figure it's the least I could do.  But we have a few years to worry about that yet.  Right now, I am just enjoying being home even though money is REALLY tight.  Most months we can't even pay all our bills.  But my hubby's looking for another job that pays better.  I still wouldn't have it any other way.  I didn't have kids so others could raise them.  We are responsible for our own kids, and not enough people take that responsibility seriously.   

Cathy 

We also live paycheck to paycheck, and really don't know how the bills will get paid...after rent,but they do...cause of faith and hope. 

Homeschooling isn't for everyone and it is something that you and your dh have to decide. I was home when my oldest was in public school...and she liked it when she got home to see my smiling reassuring smile.  

People get upset with me when I say " I didn't have children for others to raise" when they ask me when am I going to work....cause my girls are school age. 

Shari 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
giddy
August 26, 2005, 2:56 pm CDT

Welcome to the board...

Quote From: gardenbug2

Hi, I'm new the SHM board.  I'm married and have a 10 yr old son.  I've been reading your discussion on home schooling.  Wow, I don't think I have the patience for that.  It's hard enough dealing with the frustrations of homework which typically falls on me.  I thought that last year was tough when my son entered fourth grade.  I can't imagine what this year will be like. 

I enjoy being a SHM and consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to do so, especially with only one child.  Every moment is special.  My son said to me just yesterday that he wouldn't like it if I had to work (like dad) and wasn't home when he got out of school. 

I do find myself desperately seeking "ADULT" conversations though.  Thanks for listening.  Have a great day.  Oh...is there anyone here who despises the term "housewife" and "homemaker"??? 

gardenbug2 

Welcome gardenbug2, 

As for the homeschooling and patience,you would be surprised at what you could do if homeschooling is right for you. 

One reason we homeschool is the amount of homework my youngest was bringing home last year and I ended up teaching her anyhow,cause the teacher was to busy dealing with problems. 

Anyhow I have plenty of "Adult" converstations with my teen daughter and my adult daughter and then I have lots of friends who I socialize with.  

I don't mind the terms "housewife or homemaker" cause this is what I am, yet I am also a "college student" and a "homeschool mom". 

Shari 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
January 26, 2006, 12:04 pm CST

Homeschooling

Quote From: youngmom22

I was looking for your info you refer to here and on these posts and cant find it i am interested in homeschooling my children but am totally lost at how to go about it and if it would benefit them or not my oldest is 4.5 

Children learn from the day they are born, they learn to nurse,they learn that they are loved. They teach themselved to sit,crawl and walk. You teach them boundaries,meaning you teach them that things are hot,dangerous etc 

You read to them which teaches them the sounds of the letters,and how letters are formed,you teach them to count,how to write their names,you teach them your home address.  I think you are getting the idea. 

First you need to find out what your state requires, I am very fortuniate to live in a state that doesn't require anything (However I do test my daughters every few years so that I know where we are.). Then the internet has many wonderful sites for curriculm if that is the way you wish to go,also many great groups,that deal just with homeschooing. 

Shari 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
January 27, 2006, 5:50 pm CST

Sherri..thank you

Quote From: danamikayl

Great post! I live in Ontario Canada and we are also very fortunate in what the laws require.  

How old are your children? Have you always homescooled? I look forward to reading another one of your posts. 

Sherri 

I have three daughters ages 29years old(never homeschool),16yrs.old(homeschooled 7years and graduated),11 years old( 1st. full year of homeschooling).  This is our 8th year of homeschooling,unless you count since birth.  

For years I have always felt that I had to please my mother,so I gave in when she wanted my youngest in school,however this year my youngest didn't want to go back ,so I said okay. My mom finally understands that school just isn't for her. (My youngest was bullied and ganged up on at school,and this was third and fourth grade,dispite talking to those who are responisble for my child between the hours of 8:45a.m. and 2:45p.m. nothing was done...that is another post on a different board)   

Anyhow thank you for the kind words I don't always have such great words of wisdom... 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
January 29, 2006, 9:45 am CST

Homeschooling

Quote From: danamikayl

The way you said, "school just isn't for her" would be the way I would descibe my 11 year old. We decided to home school when she started 5th grade and came home crying every day for a month. After trying to fight for my daughter, I decided that I wanted more for her than this. I had no idea what home schooling was all about, BUT I did know that there was a family on my street that was home schooling, so I knocked on the door and introduced myself and the mom answered the door and was so welcoming and friendly. She helped me out so much and I will never forget that. After talking to her about their way of home schooling (unschooling) I went to the library and got every book I could find on homeschooling and for the first month I read. I bought my daughter a puppy and she bonded with the puppy while I did my research. After that I got my first computer and starting researching online. After much research I decided that my dd needed time to deschool and that I liked the sound of unschooling the most, but we needed to make it so that it wasn't anyone else's way to home school, but a way that would fit our family. So we have been doing this for our second year now and my dd is so much happier and that's what matters to me the most. For her, this is what's best. 

Did you make your child her high school diploma when you were satified with what she has learned? I read that we can do that and I was just curious.  

Do you have any advice for someone like me who is just starting out? I also have a 4 year old and I plan to have her home as well.  

Any input from you would be great!  

Thanks, 

Sherri 

Good Morning,   

Sorry I haven't gotten  back sooner, I will  gladly answer  your questions 

Did you make your child her high school diploma when you were satified with what she has learned?  Yes I did, after she completed what our state requires for public high school, we created a diploma for her. There are websites that will crete very nice ones for a fee(they aren't that badly priced) . Sorry can't remember the site and for some reason I don't have it saved to my favorites. 

Do you have any advice for someone like me who is just starting out? Relax,that is the best advise that was ever given to me.  What I did when I pulled my daughters out was let them spend about four months just getting use to not haveing to rush out the door every morning. It was also a time to get to know each other. Yes you know your daughter,but when they are at school everyday they are away for six to seven hours ,during this time you are each doing your own things,when it is vacation time,yes she is home but she isn't really home. It is hard to explan,but you will see a change in her,first it will be hard,but she will become a different more calm person. I would also suggest keeping things out ,books,workbooks(grade level,even a grade or two lower),and anything else that you feel she would enjoy. Do the same for the four year old,they will both be learning. There is a great msn unschooling board that I am a member of...we have alot of new homeschoolers,I would suggest joining they have alot of links  and are just very helpful.  

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
confused
October 26, 2006, 4:40 am CDT

I have been away for awhile and noticed

Wow this board has really gone a different direction.

This is suppose to be about homeschooling and I don't see much about being helpful and such.

My youngest is now in a Virtual Charter School, because she wanted more structure,than what we were doing..go figure. Anyhow she is doing great,and since the Charter School is considered a public school(we have been on CNN...well not my daughter and I,but the school),however they use K12 curriculum which is a homeschool curriculum(that I found out some public schools also use),my daughter loves it,and she stays on task for hours. We start our school day at 7:30a.m. with discussion about something on the news or just general chat,with out cocoa(daughter) and coffee or tea(me),after an hour of wake up time, we have breakfast and prepare for the day. School starts at 9:00a.m.,she literally works through till 3p.m. or longer. Because she has a onsite class,on Wednesdays we double up on Tuesdays and Thursdays,her onsite class is Science and she can see her classmates.

Well I see that it is getting close to 7a.m. so I need to prepare some cocoa and make some coffee. You all have a great day.

Shari

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board