Message Boards

Messages By: smmacleod

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
hopeful
August 20, 2005, 8:05 am CDT

Home schooling

Well, I am hopeschooling my two boys this year. We started in the summer. We do 1/2 days 6 days a week and then our Sunday lesson. Both of my boys are Bi-Polar/ADHD etc. There are days we do a page and stop for 15 minutes. It depends on their activity and attention. After we move I am hoping to put them in a gymnastics or martial arts. I want them to have the activity and contact. 

I am willing to take any advice. I just ordered Switched On Schoolhouse which are used in the ADHD/Bi-Polar schools I looked into. There are tons of free items on-line. SM MacLeod 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
hopeful
August 20, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

Multiple disorders

Hello. I too have two children - boys almost 9 and 7.5 with bi-polar, adhd, capd, and now abnormal eegs. I also have a daughter who is 2, but not talking. She is going in for an evaluation. At this point she does not seem to have the type of problems the boys have. 

So far we had Medicaid off and on (New Mexico), but being divorced and a disabled vet, I earn to much, despite I can't work, to qualify for state medical for them. And paying for insurance and co-pays just isn't funny in out situation, is it!?!?! 

I have been doing more of my own research, inlcuding reading the book by the Dr. Dr. Phil had on, and looking into non-prescription alternatives.  

I am now homeschooling as well. This is a first for me. We had IEP's up the wall for both of my boys. By second son has speech apraxia and is still hard to understand by most people;even me some times. I thought of relocating and putting them in a school (4hrs away) that would help them out, but it costs $8,000 a yr per child. I don't know if that is worth the cost or not. I still think about it. 

In the public school my 9 yr old isn't even working at 1st grade level. I figured I would give it a go. If it works good. If not, then I Imay look more into a specialized school. 

I looked into state waivers as well. When you put in for one and do all the massive paperwork, there is still a 5 yr WAIT. That is for medical help, (Medicare/caid), or in home help like respite. 

Being single I understand the need for being away for a while and despite that my ex is VERY helpful, he too has Bi-Polar, can't work, and can't handle being in our home for too long of periods. Even though he is here popping in several times a day, it is more to talk with me, flirt, etc. than playing with the kids, which he doesn't seem able to do. (He came from a very multple abusive home.) 

I lately have gotten very angry, resentful, grouchy, loud, and yelley, but I am working on it with my counselor, and Dr. Phil books! :) 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
November 9, 2005, 9:32 am CST

Mom of 3

Hello. I am a mom of 3 children. My oldest is ADHD, Bi-Polar, CAPD. My second son has not been dx with a particular except the CAPD. He has depression, anxiety, and is possibly a milder BP. Do any of you have problems with a dad not partaking or wanting to deal with the child's issues? I just don't get it. He is BP and probably ADD, he takes his meds, but won't read about anything, doesn't really know anything specific. Why am I left to do it all? I don't know that it is a "dad" thing per say or just the parent who doesn't want to deal. I guess because he can't deal with his own stuff. Sad. 

I am homeschooling mine for the first time. We started in July. They weren't getting educated in school and are really behind. I hope I can do better. Socially they are happier. They aren't restricted to a seat which makes my oldest really happy! :) 

Well, hello. If you have any advise on the dad thing, just let me know! SM 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
November 9, 2005, 9:39 am CST

Still at it

Hello any homeschoolers. We just took a couple of weeks off. The home got a bit crazy. I was moving the house about, trying to make it work better. It didn't and everything is back to where it was now! Figures, but I tried! I just can't seem to stay organized. I wish I knew a better way. The home life has been a little rough. Things aren't working out with the kids' dad, and I really don't want to move this next summer again, but don't think I can afford it here alone. Way too expensive. 

I have found a ton of web sites that help with school subjects, crafts, etc.  

Anyone have advise on the orgaization part? What do you do? Is there a desk, cupboard? How do you plan your daily stuff, especially if you aren't on one of the regular cirriculums, which we aren't. Any advise is gladly appreciated. Thanks! SM 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
May 6, 2006, 6:07 am CDT

Raise without Dad too

Quote From: ramos5

i was raised by my mom  ...my dad was sent to prison when i was 1 and he is still there.......i used to tell my classmates my dad is coming home today because i wanted to be like everyone else and have the normal family but in my mind i knew he wasnt i know how your son feels hes longing for a relasionship with his father..........whether it be a good one or a bad one he is longing for one
Hello. When I was a kid my dad was a trucker and left mom whenever he didn't want to be a dad and husband. My mom had to work so I was raised by my aunt and uncle. When dad wanted to be a hubby and dad he would yank us all back. Finally, after their divorce I lived full time with my aunt and uncle, but no one knew that at school. I didn't tell anyone I came from a divorced family, no one I knew was divorced. No one knew my aunt wasn't my mother either. I didn't like her explaining my folks were divorced and my mum had to work away from us because my dad didn't pay her anything. I think also it is about being "normal" and fitting in. Perhaps you could ask him how he feels about his dad. Every kid wants both of their parents in their life. I am raising 3 kids with a dad who chooses to live elsewhere. My kids miss their dad, but also know they are better without him. Sad situations. Best wishes. Sonya.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board