Messages By: trim140

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
hopeful
July 25, 2005, 6:19 pm CDT

senior videos

Quote From: ready_able

I am hopeful some other seniors with a similar desire will join me in seeking good exercise routines and motivation for the young at heart. We do have limitations and safety must be a priority, but let us share information and ideas about fitness for US. Perhaps Dr. Phil will guide us to a suitable destination when we look eagarly at his boot camp results without hope of participating.

ready_able

Sometimes I get to be considered a senior (I'm 55), and I've been helping my mom (80 young years) get started with exercise. I don't know if you like videos/ DVDs or not, but a fantastic resource is http://collagevideo.com.

Use the key search word "seniors" and it will pull up all the titles they have for seniors exercising. What's neat about this web site is that you can click on the title, then click to play a 60 second preview of the video itself. It gives you a really good idea of the pace, voice of the instructor, etc. I searched and found these titles:

Specialty videoSeniors 30 Beginner Leslie Sansone's Walk & Firm for Older Adults
(Summer 05 catalog shows 'Walk Aerobics for Seniors') $14.95  $12.95 Specialty videoSeniors 56 Instructional Tai Chi for Seniors $19.95  $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 41 Intermediate 50 Plus Exercise with Margaret Richard $11.95  $11.95 Specialty videoSeniors 28 Beginner Richard Simmons' Platinum Sweat $14.95 Specialty videoSeniors 51 Begin/Inter In Sync with Cindy $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 41 Begin/Inter Silver Foxes Power Pilates $19.95  $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 45 Beginner Bone Building Workout $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 41 Begin/Inter Silver Foxes: Power Pilates 2 $19.95  $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 37 Beginner Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness $19.95  $14.95 Specialty videoSeniors 48 Begin/Inter In Sync with Cindy Two $19.95 Specialty videoSeniors 102* Beginner Lilias! Discover Gentle Yoga AM & PM Workouts $29.95

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
July 26, 2005, 8:55 am CDT

pushing exercise

Quote From: agarrido83

I walk one hour each day and lift weights. Am I pushing myself too much? I'm so desperate to lose weight and with Dr. Phil's book, this is the first time I've ever been serious. Although, I don't eat what he recommends. I've cut down on what I eat and I eat more fruit. So, do you think I'm pushing myself with exercise?

Are you lifting weights every day? You are supposed to wait a day in between lifting weights to allow your muscles some repair time. I use Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover book because it tells what exercises, how many and how long you should exercise for your ability level. There are 3 types of exercises in his program: functional (core body exercises, crunches and stretches) that you do 6 days a week, cardio (depending on your fitness level 30 minutes to an hour) 6 days a week, and weight resistance three times a week.

Your food intake and exercise output have to work together for the best results. You need to make sure you are getting the right amount of protein, grains, dairy, fruits and vegetables that will fuel your body and help it along. What Dr. Phil's food program recommends is a very balanced approach to eating. I really think you will be more satisfied with the results you have if you follow his food plan along with intentional exercise. Bob Greene's book (he was Oprah's trainer) has 5 simple rules of eating which are basice rules to live by.

There is a phenomenon that not eating ENOUGH will hinder your weight loss efforts, so I'd be careful about randomly just cutting back on what you eat.

Walking an hour a day is fantastic! You are way ahead of the game, and I certainly don't think you are pushing yourself too much.

Gail

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
surprised
July 27, 2005, 11:17 am CDT

to snaqueb

Quote From: snaqueb

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me?

I am 24 years old and I generally have fairly low energy levels, and tend to need a lot of sleep to function properly (my ideal is 9 hours a night).  In March, I started reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book, and joined a local gym.  I got a personal trainer, and followed the program she made for me.  I went to the gym 3 times a week faithfully, and did my strength training program and 30 - 45 minutes of cardio every time I went.  After about 3 months, I had to stop going to the gym as I was just too tired all of the time and it didn't seem to be getting any better (actually, it was getting worse).  I was eating properly, getting good amounts of protein and carbs, but was still tired.

So, having heard my story, I was wondering if any of you have any advice/opinions.  Some people have told me that I may have low iron, as I have some of the other symptoms of low iron as well (heart palpitations, slow healing of muscle aches/pains), but my doctor insists that my iron levels are fine (she only did a general blood test though).  Should I get a second opinion, or ask for more tests?  What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Snaqueb

It doesn't sound like your doctor gave you any answers, and you are too young to be feeling tired like that. I'm 55 and work out with weights 3 times a week, do 45 min of cardio 6 days a week, an hour of yoga once a week, and ab crunches and squats every day. I sleep 6-7 hrs a night, and I have lots of energy throughout the day. If I were you, if you have faith in your doctor, ask her to do more tests until you find out why. If she doesn't seem concerned about it, I'd find a new doctor. You know you are not feeling up to par.

Gail

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
July 28, 2005, 8:31 am CDT

Exercise

Quote From: young_one

I am 16 years old. And I love Dr. Phil, I watch him everyday when I come home from school. He's amazing.

I feel that I have a couple pounds on me, that shouldn't be there. I love to drink pop, and eat perogies, chips, popcorn, pogos, pizza etc. I always eat my fruits and vegetables. I want to go on a diet (as in, I want to ditch, all these greasy, and fattning foods, and eat much healthier) but I dont know how. When I get up to walk to the fridge, I tell myself, eat something healthy, but once I get there, I see the pop, and pour myself a glass, and then I'll see the Doritos or popcorn sitting there, and I grab it, and hit the couch. I dont relaly exercise, I walk around my town (we live in a very small town) sometimes, whenever I go out with friends. But, I want to get a flatter stomach, thinner thighs, and a smaller butt. I dont know how. I always tell myself, tomorrow I'll ditch my habits, but I can never seem too. I dont have money or the time to go to the gym, and I dont know what aerobics are or pilates. What kind of exercises should I do, and what kind of food is HEALTHIER to eat, can anyone please give me advice on how to stick to my goals?!

Melissa. 

Melissa, Dr. Phil's son, Jay McGraw, has a book out written specifically for teens, "The Ultimate Weight Solution for Teens". It's basically the same program, but it addresses social situations that teens find themselves in that adults don't usually deal with. I'd suggest you get a copy of that book and read it. Dr Phil's Food Guide is an excellent source in telling you what foods are good for you and which ones are "empty calories". In using the 7 keys he outlines in the book, you communicate with the people close to you that you need their help and support. Create a family activity of cleaning up the environment... dump the unhealthy foods or give it away to a food bank or something. You said you have a "couple pounds on me". Don't go about this adventure as a weight loss program, but one that teaches you how to live a heathy lifestyle. Getting the education about it now is wonderful! I wish I had learned far sooner than I did.

As far as exercise goes, you don't need to join a gym. There is a book, Total Body Makeover by Bob Greene (Oprah's trainer) that has an excellent exercise program outlined for you. He also explains the how and why of the exercises. I will say that saying you don't have the time to go to the gym (or to exercise) is faulty thinking. When something is high enough on your priority list you MAKE the time. Re-work your schedule so you DO have the time. It required me getting up an hour earlier each day to fit it in, which wasn't real pleasant in the beginning. But I found it's a fantastic way to start my day. I hope this info helps somewhat.

Gail

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
August 23, 2005, 8:23 am CDT

Exercise

Quote From: steverel

Hello All 

Is there anyone who can help me out. I'm 45yrs old and have been on Dr.Phil weight loss plan for 18 months, and have done good so far,And have lost 80lbs. I have not lost any weight in about 3 months. I go to the gym everyday,but Sunday. My workout are 1hr of hard cardio followed by 45 to 1hr of weight training. I have been real good about eat the right foods,no junk. I drink plenty of water and green tea plus vitiams.I can't seem to get off this platue. I really need some advice to help me lose the last 30lbs. 

Frustrate but won't give up 

SRR 

Wow, except for your age, I could have written this message verbatim! I'm 56 yrs old, but my story is the same as yours. I started in April 2004 and have lost 85 lbs, but have been at this same weight for the past 6 months. Have you tried going on the Rapid Start program outlined in Dr Phil's Food Guide? That broke my plateau... but I wasn't careful on all my trips this summer, and I got right back up to the weight at which I plateaued (sp?). I have one more trip in 2 weeks (a cruise) that I'll be careful on, but I plan to do Rapid Start as soon as I return from that. 

My daughter(she has lost 90 lbs this past year with this program) works with a personal trainer. They have both suggested changing up my exercises. Even though I work out 2 hrs 3x a week and 90 min 2x a week with a combination of cardio, functional and strength training, my body apparently has gotten used to using the same muscles and amount of calorie burn. Time to switch it up some. Actually, I decided to sign on with the personal trainer when I get back from the cruise as well. 

I too have another 30 lbs to lose. I continue to read back over Dr Phil's chapters to keep my head in the right place... I WILL NOT GIVE IN  to the frustration of all this. It is going to happen. Keep in touch here and let me know how it's going for you, and I'll do the same! 

Gail 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
hopeful
August 29, 2005, 8:49 am CDT

dave ramsey, this and that

At the beginning of 60 minutes I heard a blip about Dave Ramsey, and I was thinking "where have I heard of him recently??". Then it hit me that it was on the board about how his philosophy can be applied in weight loss. I watched the 60 Minute segment, and it was very interesting. I enjoyed seeing the effect it has had on his own children. They seemed to really get it. We have to be very strong people to engage in this weight battle, but I'll admit that getting your act together financially as his plan advocates seems even a lot harder that weight loss. 'When I saw that his kids had envelopes marked Give, Save, and Spend it reminded me of a Piggy Bank highlighted on the Today Show a couple of years ago. It was acrylic, and it had 3 places to insert money... give, spend, and save. Great teaching tool for kids. It all comes down to planning and following through. Just like taking the total amount of food you need for the day and planning when and how much of it you will eat. It takes a little bit of planning. 

Brenda, sometimes it takes me such a long time to say what I want to say, I think I must time out on the Dr. Phil board. I stop every once in a while and copy what I've already got on the post, just in case it disappears. That way I just paste in the new post (pretty much the same as writing it in Word, then copying and pasting). Sorry you are having so many problems with that! 

I don't know your story, Brenda. How much weight have you lost already, and how long have you been following Dr P's program? I've been at this since April 2004 and have lost 85 lbs. But I've been stuck in the low 180's for several months. I'm working on busting through this mainly with bumping up my IE. 

Have a good day! 

Gail 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
August 29, 2005, 9:17 am CDT

0 Joy - From the Success Show

The bank I was talking about can be found at 

http://www.moneysavvygeneration.com 

They also have booklets and curriculum for it as well. I think it goes well with Dave Ramsey's program. 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
chillin'
September 4, 2005, 5:06 am CDT

Brenda

Quote From: brenbiel

Good to see you again, Jen. Congrats on continuing to loose that baby weight. Sounds like you're doing great! 

I just wanted to pop by and share some family news. Our middle son just called this evening to announce his engagement! We knew it was coming sometime soon, but it was pretty exciting to hear the news from him. The plan is to wait until he's done school in two more years. We've already come to really love his fiancee (that sounds so strange!) -- she's a real sweetie.  

I did a little more key work again today, and managed to fight off some wicked cravings with my green tea. I'm determined to win this battle!  

TTYL, Brenda 

Adding another member to your family without having to be pregnant is always wonderful news :-) 

Congratulations. It's always so nice when you like and get along with the person your child has chosen to be with. I love my son-in-law, but after 6 years of marriage to my daughter he still rings the front doorbell before he comes in the house (even when my daughter and grandaughter are already here!). He's just VERY shy... even still! But I don't complain... he treats my daughter lovingly and makes her happy, and that's all that's important. 

Great for you conquering your cravings! That is difficult to do. I've also found that sitting down with some green tea and treating myself with a little fruit to go along with it will calm me down enough to overcome the "go ahead and eat it" thoughts. I swear, there is this little voice that lives inside of me that I'm determined to get rid of. I'm working on replacing it with words of affirmation and victory! 

How's your exercise program coming along? 

Gail 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
happy
September 4, 2005, 1:01 pm CDT

Linda

Quote From: linda_71

Congrats, Brenda, on welcoming another woman into your family!  :-)  That is so exciting!  And I'm glad you have time to relax before the wedding planning onslaught! 

Gail, how is it going?  Still on a roll? 

I had to laugh about in-law stories.  I have been married for 11 years now and I STILL (you won't believe this!) have NO IDEA what to call my in laws.  Calling them by their first names just doesn't feel natural and I don't think they'd like it, but calling them Mom and Dad feels funny, too!  So I usually wait until they are looking at me to ask them something or begin a conversation.  How's that for crazy?  It's one of those too-much-time-has-passed situations where I wouldn't dare ask them now what to call them.  We get along just fine, but I just get so nervous about THAT issue.  Isn't that a hoot? 

My parents told my husband right up front to use their first names....well, my dad did....my mom doesn't care, but at least that made it easy for him. 

I am SO tired today.  It's been a long weekend and I desperately need a nap.  Have a great rest of the weekend everyone! 

Yes, I'm still rollin'! I went out to eat with my best friend for her birthday and felt really good about the choices I made at the restaurant. DH & I went out last night & I ordered grilled salmon with no extra oil or butter and steamed broccoli without butter. We went over to my son's house afterward to watch the UT Longhorn football game (runaway game! Go Horns!), and I ate about 1/2 cup of grapes. 

I finally joined at the YMCA to use their cardio machines. I've been working out for over a year with DVDs, walking outside, and the program outlined in Bob Greene's Book. My daughter suggested pumping up the cardio, and it's so hot here right now that means going inside to machines. I would do laps in our pool, but I don't like being in the sun anymore because of skin damage. Anyway, I worked out on the eliptical (2 miles), cycle (5 miles) and treadmill (2 miles) yesterday. It felt really good, but I am SORE today. 

We got up at 6 this morning and started cleaning out linen closets and clothes closets. We filled up the entire trunk and inside of the car with bedding, linens, towels and clothes and took it down to the Katrina Donation Center this afternoon. The volunteers were extremely organized, and we were impressed with how quickly they moved all of us through there. 

I can tell I've been doing well with the program, because I'm looking forward to the weigh-in tomorrow! I leave for Boston and the cruise a week from today. I'm making my plans now on when I'll be in the workout room on board before we head off on our land excursion each day. My goal wight-wise is to maintain while I am gone. I've planned which times I will have a sweet indulgence (my birthday falls in the middle of the cruise). 

Linda, your new picture looks great!  You are so right about today being a new day to make good choices. Staying on top of the situation will keep the weight from coming back on, I'm convinced. 

Have a fun Labor Day! 

Gail 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
confused
September 6, 2005, 1:23 pm CDT

Melissa

Quote From: zyelycia

I am glad to hear that for the most part eveyone is doing good.  

Linda please do not for get to tell me your story. I am looking forward to it when you get around to it.  

I am not doing so well. I will do well for a couple of days and then fall off the wagon.  

My start weight was 242, current 250, goal 150.  

I started a year agon in June and am actually 8lbs heavier. Yuck. I am praying about this. There is something here I need to figure out and I knwo that it is more then food and exercise. I am journaling again. I know that God will reveal it to me when the time is right. Hopefully sooner then later.  

Okay ladys I am off to do weights and ride my bike. I will be back to let you know how it went. I am already in my exercise clothes. My eating is alos going good this morning. I had all bran cerel and 1% milk.   

Talk to you all soon.  

Melissa  

You sound like you are on the right track today. How did the exercise go? I have another question: you mentioned that you had bran cereal and 1% milk for breakfast. Was that all??? If so, that is not enough! Are you following the meal guidelines that Dr. Phil has in the Food Guide?  

It's a proven fact that if you don't eat enough on a diet, your body shuts down the weight loss and fat burning. It thinks it's going into starvation and starts "hanging on" to what it thinks it needs to survive.  

You mentioned you are journaling again. Are you journaling what you eat or your thoughts and feelings? (I periodically do both, but at different times and stages). One thing that I've come to believe in is what Dr. Phil says about certain foods being "hunger drivers" and others being "hunger suppressors". I've found it's so much easier to "stay on the wagon" when I am faithful about eating foods of the suppressor type. I don't have the cravings or thoughts about foods when I'm careful that way. You might consider posting a day's worth of your food journal and maybe we'll see something that you are missing? Just a thought.  

I appreciate your struggle and admire your determination to get your weight off. I've lost 85 lbs so far, and I'm battling the last 30 lbs. I believe you can get this thing going and stick with it. Reach out here and discuss what you are doing right each day.   

Gail  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board