Messages By: homemkr101

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
August 23, 2006, 11:01 am CDT

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: sweet2u

I had gastric bypass 7 yrs ago, 1999. I was 24 yrs old and weighed 300lbs standing 5'7. I was miserable and could not do alot of things that people take for granted. My family was against the whole surgery even my husband, he liked me fat. I decided if insurance paid for it I would have it done if not then I wouldnt. Well, ins did pay, 100% in fact. I took it as a sign from God to do it. I stayed in the hospital for 7 days had 1 small complication, developed some fluid in my lungs, they fixed me up and I went home fine. In the hosp I had already lost 20lbs, of course I was excited. I kept losing fast and by the first 8 months I had lost 100lbs. I was 180lbs. I still was not at my goal of 150 but, I had stopped losing weight. I was very disappointed because other ppl lost more than me but, I just figured that was where my body wanted to be. In 2001 I had a tummy tuck to remove the sagging fat hanging on my legs from my stomach, It was bad. The tummy tuck was painless, I was surprised. I am overall happy with the surgery and weight loss however, it is only a quick fix. You still must learn how to eat right and less cause as I know you will/can fall into old habbits and the weight can be gained back. I had another child in 2001 before the tummy tuck and I gained 50 lbs with that pregnancy, I still have to lose it and we are in 2006 now. It is hard and I feel horrible about it. Anyway, if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me at sweet2u72875@yahoo.com

Good Luck, Wendy

Wendy, I too have had Gastric Bypass Surgery. I was 250 pounds at my highest weight,(232 at surgery) and I stand 5ft 2in tall.I had it in Dec 2005 and have lost 80 pounds about 8 months now. I was blessed with a supportive husband but I also had others in my life who were completely against it. This wasn't an easy decision for me to make but I'm glad I did it as I can now plan for the future with my children without the pain holding me back. There has been a few people who have distanced themselves from me but I understand that it isn't me that is causing their discomfort within themselves and I can only do what is best for me. I have a little bit of excess skin but can deal with it for now. This surgery is only a tool and what you or I do with it is what counts- Go back on the protein if you can and exercise. Keep a can do attitude- and learn from your experience. You can do it!!!

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
August 5, 2008, 6:38 pm CDT

Fat Abusers

Quote From: hrmeny

I have a husband like the guys on the show, and he used to say some of the same mean and hurtful things.  We started going to counselling and he has become kinder, but I sense he feels the same way deep inside about my weight.   We never have sex anymore and we're acting like mere roomates.  I know he loves me.......he just doesn't know how to relate as a "husband" I told him he should've taken "husband" lessons before we got married, because he really doesn't have a clue sometimes.   I don't really feel like he respects me because of some deep rooted fellings he has for his Mother.  I also suggested he get counselling for himself but he won't.  I'm considering Lap Band surgery now...not for him but for myself.  Once I lose the weight, somone told me he'll just find something else to "whine" about.

What to do ??????

It sounds to me like you are willing to take control of your life but take it from someone who has experienced gastric bypass myself- you really need to come to grips with why you want it or if you need it. It's only a tool and what you do with it determines the outcome. There's a difference.  Just an observation...

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board