Message Boards

Messages By: kstwin64

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 15, 2005, 10:59 am CDT

Excercise in futility

The airing of this show to me was premature in that objective data that would have helped the live and TV audience assess the event (this was no "accident" - it was an event) because each family was unable to arrive at any objectivity on their own as to what, how  and why the tragedy occurred. 

That's why I expected as the show progressed to see: an experienced Accident-Reconstructionist's report as part of the script so that Dr Phil would have had the most objective data at hand as he was talking with each family and especially the girl. For example, the victim's "flying" 68' from the impact occurred from where? The  center of the street, the far side of the street, where?  

It was evident from early-on that each family was not going to be convinced by ANY objective data that things weren't just as they wanted to believe they were. And if a reconstructionist report was going to change any minds, forget it. But that's what I thought Dr. Phil was going to make his approach from. Then, when the perp's brother or the victim's mother would continue the denial of what the cold, hard facts showed then Dr. Phil's objective would have been more clear to me.  Both families are overwhelmed with anger and they all appear to have no appropriate outlets. 

I was also disappointed that the perp's family had stage-center instead of the victim's. The latter family suffered the greater loss so why "feature" the perp and her family? (I use the term "perp" because the edited show strongly suggested that the girlfriend did commit at least voluntary manslaughter.) 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
confused
October 15, 2005, 7:26 pm CDT

Just wondering

Quote From: avary001

On June 25th 2005, a week after my high school graduation, I got a knock on my door at 5:30 am. It was a coroner and two detectives. They told me that my mom had been killed by a drunk driver. They said that her car blew up on impact so she is a jane doe. I did not know what to say or do. I could not cry, i could'nt do anything. I lived with only my mom, so with her death came me not having a mom, home, or financial support. Everyday I cry like a baby for my mom. I saw the man who killed her for the first time last week. He is a 23 year old preppy kid. From what the DA is telling us, he will only get parole. It is sad. My brother is serving three years in prison for stealing two purses. My mom is dead and my family and i will never be able to get justice for her. All I can do is try to forgive him, but that will have to come with time. It is hard to forgive somebody when you associate them with a picture in the newspaper of my mom burnng alive in our family car! Very sad.  
I take it your mom was coming from or going to work when the tragedy occurred. I don't get the part about "she is a jane doe." I know of no law enforcement officer who would make a bereavement call and not have the deceased's name. I'm assuming that you're mentioning your brother's situation because the other driver was "a preppy kid,"  but I'm not sure whether "two purses" normally carries  a 3 year sentence. But sentencing between a traffic offense and a criminal offense are typically not similar.

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
sad
October 16, 2005, 7:30 am CDT

Conspiracy theory

Quote From: nikki_pvn

When companies start to develope cars with minds of their own, it will be a great relief, we'll be able to sue them for every parking ticket, dui, and even murder! 

Until then, every driver will be accountable for the 'cars' actions. 

You must have just watched a rerun of "Christina" (the murderous '58 Plymouth) to come up with this drivel.

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
frustrated
October 16, 2005, 3:50 pm CDT

What's scary about all this

What's scary about many of these posts is that they're by persons who are eligible to serve on juries (including capital murder) and they sure are quick on judgment and short on facts when they make their lofty pronouncements. I'm even wondering if there may not have been several versions of the show broadcast at the same in different areas by some of the responses I've read. Those kind of posters sure add credence to the old saw: If you're guilty ask for a trial by jury, if you're innocent ask for a trial by judge.

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 21, 2005, 5:00 am CDT

Huh?

Quote From: luckypink

a 2000  toyota  can not have the lights out and engine reving check it out  with toyota or an owner  thats a 2000 toyota corolla  more facts
Therefore you're saying, since a 2000 Toyota "can not have THE LIGHTS OUT AND ENGINE REVVING",  it CAN NOT be driven in daytime? Has anyone told Toyota of that manufacturing defect?

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 21, 2005, 5:14 am CDT

Wondering

Quote From: cablekidz

Like the 15 year old who posted said, it's not easy to be a kid.   The problem with telling a lie is that it's really tough to back your way out of it and save face, especially if the first real trouble you get into is as big as this was.   It's really hard for kids to lose face and to admit mistakes.  I can even see how Brandi can be at war with herself over "voluntary" versus "involuntary" when the difference between them is a split second decision.   I'm glad she's getting some counseling where she is.   

I'm not in law but I investigate child abuse and neglect cases and advocate for kids in Juvenile Court.    

I think the difference between "voluntary" and "involuntary" manslaughter is more than "a split second" the same as there is a significant difference between "abuse" and "neglect." Or are abuse and neglect the same to you except for a "split second decision?"

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 21, 2005, 11:21 am CDT

10/13 Cheerleader Scandal

Quote From: graciehope

no.  i think everyone knows she meant that on a toyota corolla year 2000 and above, the lights automatically come on when the car is started (as many newer cars are made this same way for safety purposes). 

but, does anyone know if you can turn them off? 

If this was the best she could express "evidence" then that poster needs to take time to say what she meant rather than have to be "interpreted." Your 2nd sentence captures it perfectly: "i think everyone knows she meant... ." In this instance perhaps "everyone knows", but was her "truth" factual? For example, GM vehicles allow a driver to "idle your vehicle WITH THE AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHT SYSTEM OFF, set the parking brake while the ignition is off. Then start your vehicle. The automatic headlamp system will stay off until you release the parking brake or until you shift out of park." Does Toyota have a similar feature? I don't know, but I do know that the poster didn't take the time to point that out.

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 21, 2005, 12:27 pm CDT

Quote From: graciehope

i just thought of something.  that would have been a defense that Brandi didn't see Daniel, (if the lights were off), so maybe the family should have gone with that. 

i truly believe that Brandi just cannot admit to herself or anyone else what she did.  i do not believe like one poster said that she took the car thinking, "i'm going to run over Daniel and kill him".  after all, she is a good, decent person and to admit to it will be extremely painful.  it is amazing the self defense mechanisms our minds have.   i believe the same is true of her family.   

i hope they will gain the courage to face this painful situation head on.  they will be amazed at the release they will feel.   

i don't suggest they do it without support though.  God can and will help when they are ready to let Him.   

I'm not trying  to belabor the point, what I'm trying to show is that the headlight feature DOESN'T need to be "overridden" deliberately. If the hand brake was applied BEFORE starting the car there might have been no headlights while the car was being "revved."   

My concern is that many posts I've read rely on an author's "facts" as being absolute truths and proof-positive of their position. My contention is that there is, indeed, a lot of wiggle-room. That is why accuracy in witnessing or giving statements is so, so important.  

And your point is well-taken: that the headlights-on issue may have been better left alone by the poster.  

By the way, the 3 illiumination features for many brands are: Daytime Running Lights, Auto-Headlight-On, manual operation. Fog Lights are an additional feature. And not all vehicles have DRL and/or auto-on or fog lights. 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 21, 2005, 1:06 pm CDT

Quote From: spring

Dr. Phil: There is so much emotion on this topic, and I understand that.  Both families have been dealt a cruel hand, and neither family deserved the pain they are in.  Dr. Phil touched on the "ripple effect" on the families, and that was very evident on the show.  I have experience in that effect and I know some of the pain Brandi's family is going through.  You see I have a son who is in prison, and my heart breaks each and every day.  I know 12 years seems like a long time to Brandi's parents, but my son is serving 10 years in prison.....over stealing a couple of music CD's from a local Target store.  My son never hurt anyone but himself, and he received almost as much time as Brandi.  I have lost 10 years of my son's life, so I do understand why Brandi's family is so angry, but I also hurt for Daniel's family.  I lost a stepson who was murdered and the person who cold bloodedly murdered my stepson only received 7 years. So you see, there is a wide spectrum you can discuss if you want to get into "right and wrongs" as far as sentencing goes.  The main point I wanted to make here is that Daniel's pain is over...as is his life.  His mother's, dad's and sister's pain will NEVER go away.  Same goes for Brandi's story...regardless of my belief of her innocence or guilt, she will have to live with Daniel's death her entire life. Her parents and her brother are living in pain, and will never "get over" this.  My heart goes out to all concerned as a parent who has seen both sides of this tragedy.  I can't advise them how to heal because I haven't been able to do that myself. Everyday is a challenge, every day brings new tears to my eyes. Thank you for listening.

"I know 12 years seems like a long time to Brandi's parents, but my son is serving 10 years in prison.....over stealing a couple of music CD's from a local Target store.  My son never hurt anyone but himself, and he received almost as much time as Brandi."  

Now here's injustice. Here's a young person (a guess): 1st offender (I'm assuming this because you never said he had any record), youthful offender, crime against property and no other major transgressions in the community or elsewhere (again, I'm assuming this because you didn't say there were any other problems). Yet he gets 10 years!!!   

I would think someone in your area Bar Association would readily come to your cause and I can't understand why that hasn't happened. 

You have had more than your share of tragedy and I admire your strength in coping with it. 

User Mood
Good

Message Emote
blank
October 22, 2005, 2:41 am CDT

Quote From: amm2008me

his parents blamed it on my grandfather. they said that he was to old at 54 to be driving a tractor. so before you go lecturing me on that kinds of stuff think. brandi didnt get the chance to go to her BOYFRIENDS funeral. she didnt have the chance to say what she wanted to say untill now because adults, yeah all of you, fill our kids heads with crap when we get into trouble: "o tell them this so it looks good and you dont put bad word to our name" all parents tell us what to say sometime in our life to PROTECT US. she just now got out all of what she wanted to say. maybe it was both of their faults, not just hers. same as the kid. my grandfather should have continuously looked behind him to make sure no one would ram him in the back. brandi is innocent and if you got something to say about MY OPINION, just dont because i frankly dont care what you got to say.
This is what's good about writing down someone's thoughts and feelings: any competent therapist can see where the individual's thought processes are and can help the client to understand that the client may be their own worst enemy. The frustration of others not seeming to understand you can also be worked on because it certainly sounds like you've got issues way past your comprehension.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board