Message Boards

Messages By: ruby21

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 18, 2005, 7:39 pm CDT

Spirited Kids

My daughter is 13 months old and has a very strong personality.  She is learning to listen when I tell her NO, but also is very good at showing me how much she doesn't like it.  She often throws herself on her back and starts bawling.  Then she will continue to test me, and gets upset everytime I tell her no.  I am proud of her for listening to me, but I am concerned about the way she throws herself onto the floor.  I usually just make sure she will not hurt herself, and then ignore her, or walk away.  Is that just her way of expressing herself for her age, or is she starting to throw tantrums.  I am worried that if I don't deal with this properly that she will be a "tantrum thrower" who is difficult to manage.  Advice please?!

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 18, 2005, 7:47 pm CDT

The Funny Things They Say and Do

Once, while driving, my wedding song came on the radio.  As soon as I mentioned to my passenger  that it was my wedding song, my 12 month old daughter in the backseat started smacking her lips to "give kisses".  I doubt it was intentional on her part, but is was sooo cute!!!

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 19, 2005, 10:42 am CDT

Sex

THis is my first time posting a message on this topic.  I grew up in a strict Christian home, and was taught that sex before marriage was a huge sin.  When I met and started dating my husband, we had a sexual relationship before getting married.  I became pregnant and miscarried at 17, which caused a huge uproar in my family.  I am still a Christian, and I don't believe that pre-marital sex is OK, but I find it hard to put the past behind me.  My husband and I have a good sex life, but sometimes I feel really dirty about some of the stuff we do.  I believe that the reason I feel it is so dirty is because I was so sheltered growing up.  I just don't know how I can get past the past and know that sex with my husband is not dirty.

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 19, 2005, 12:06 pm CDT

Hi Canadians!

I am a stay at home Ontario Mom of a 13 month old daughter.  I have always wanted to go back to work eventually, and find a career that I really enjoy.  So far, I have booked and cancelled 2 interviews, because as soon as I book the interview, I start thinking about how much I will be away from Nicole (24 hrs/wk), and about how I will be letting someone else raise my girl, and how she will share a bond with the sitter that she should have with me, etc, etc.  In other words, I start to panic, and I can't go through with it.  So right now, I have decided that I will focus on getting more education.  I really hope that eventually I can go back to work, but if that means waiting till she goes to school, so be it. Our financial situation is tight, but thank God, my husband is supportive of my decision, and said that to him, it is more important that Nicole is secure and content.
I still struggle with (for lack of a better word) boredome.  And I often feel very unimportant and as if I am not doing anything to "make a difference".  My mom often tells me that being a stay at home mom is the most important job in the world, and I know that that is very true, but often it is hard for me to feel that way.

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 19, 2005, 12:09 pm CDT

Canada

Quote From: sahm23kids

Hi everyone,  

I was so happy to find other Canadians on the message board.  I am new here and just wanted to say hi!!!  I am a mom to 3 great kids, 2 jack russels and wife to a great husband!  I recently started a home based business that I am very excited about and am always battling with wieght loss!  30 pounds and I'll be content!  I am looking forward to getting to know you all!! 

Have a super day, 

Tara 

Hi Tara
Could you please tell me more about how you started your home based business?  I would love to work from home, but I have know idea where to start.

Thanks
Ruby

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 19, 2005, 7:13 pm CDT

Birth Stories

My little girl was 1 week late.  When I finally went into labor, it was very painful, but the contractions were only 5-6 minutes apart.  The midwife came to check me a few hours later, and said I was only 4 cm, not even in active labor (yeah right).  She broke my water at 4:30 and  I  instantly went to 7cm.  We rushed to the hospital, and Nicole was born at 6:05.  And she hasn't slowed down since!

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 20, 2005, 7:05 pm CDT

Canada

Quote From: veroniquef

Hi  

Where are u from in Ontario? I grew up in Sault Ste.Marie ( now live in Montreal) 

I live in Kitchener, which quite away from the Sioux (did I spell that right?)  But right about now, my husband, who is a trucker, is on his way home from the west, and will shortly be going thru there.  I have a friend who lives in Dryden, and once went up to visit her.  Wow, is that ever a long drive....beautiful scenery though.

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 20, 2005, 7:15 pm CDT

Thank you for your reply

Quote From: lavoie

My oldest son used to do exactly the same thing when he was about the same age as your daughter.  Like you, I was very worried about his reactions.  I did the only thing I could do:  1)  Make sure he was safe (would not get injured)  and 2)  explained to him both the situation and the way he felt.  "I know you're frustrated"  "I understand that you are desapointed, but you cannot do waterver for whaterver the reason"  and such...  I am no psychologist,  but what I can say is that when  he turned about 18 months old, his vocabulary incresed a lot and gradualy, he started to try to comunicate verbaly his frustration instead of just throwing himself on the floor...  He is now 8 years old and belive me, he is as far as can be from a "tantrum thrower".  He is also the only one of my four kids to have done that...  I hope thispersonal experience will give you a little hope...  (Sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I am French..)
 Thank you very much for replying to my message.  I feel much better knowing that another mother has been through this and everything worked out well.  Both my husband and I were very headstrong children, so we knew a little bit about what we could be getting ourselves into.  But having the reassurance that I was handling her behaviour properly makes me feel a lot better about everything. 
Just a note:  She may fight me with everthing she has in her when she's upset at me, but when she's not upset, she is the most cheerful and loving girl, and her smile makes everthing worthwhile.  I guess that is what motherhood is all about.

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 20, 2005, 7:23 pm CDT

Thinking of you

Quote From: abbizdream

my 2 year old wakes up crying evey morning. she throws fits and I dont even know why. she was always a high matinence baby, but things are getting worse. she gets stuck a million times a day( like she has already gotten stuck under her sisters walker since i have been writing) some people think she has signs off ADHD. I cant seem to get her on any kind of schedual, Especially since our home burnned down last week, we lost everything and didnt have renters insurance. now my husband, our 2 girls and I are borrowing my brothers room. Eden Grace (my little wild child) is having a hard time getting settled in. I feel like I am battling it out with her all day, trying to get our family business in order, and making sure Gabby (our 1 year old) is getting all that she needs.
 Just want you to know that I am thinking of you.  This must be a very difficult and stressful time time for you and your family.  I give you a lot of credit for just being able to care for 2 children so close in age, without all the other stress in your life. (I had wanted to have 2 children 1-2 years apart, but after having my daughter, I didn't think I could handle another one until a few more years down the road).
Anyway, just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Ruby

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
blank
October 21, 2005, 5:33 am CDT

Difficulty Forming Friendships

Hello.  I am 21 and I have no social skills.  I have a couple of good friends, and a lot of aquaintances (mostly my husband' friend's girfriends and wives).  My husband is a "social butterfly".  He loves going out with his friends, and thinks that we should get out more.  He is a truck driver, and can't stand the thought of me and Nicole (our 13m old daughter) being stuck at home with nothing to do.  I wish he could see it like it is.  He thinks I will go crazy if I don't get out with friends more and do stuff.  I like going out with my friends every once in a while, but I hate going to big social functions like dances or backyard bonfire parties, where everybody and their grandmother is there.  I am a horrible conversationalist when it comes to people I don't know very well, and I hate small talk.  Anybody else have this problem where their husband loves going out, and you would rather just invite a couple good friends over for dinner?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board