Message Boards

Messages By: indiagirl

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
December 30, 2005, 3:37 pm CST

TEACHING RESPONSIBILITY/EXPECTATIONS

I am surprised at the Dr.Phil taking on this Hype! 

Lets see what He has to say! 

This is not the way to get/teach Respect, respect is earned, a family with an issue could use other means of communication/methods to resolve, it would be very surprised if his type of solution worked, and in fact, has been said by this mother that the next day there was NO change. I see this as merely attention getting and no more, Moms on Strike is not a new thing 1984 Movie, I hope Dr.Phil explains to other mothers out there with the same problems, that there are Healthier, Unselfish, Unconditional and more respectful ways to deal with this, than selling your family's property without them knowing, and the Charity thing came up after the auction ended an offer from the buyer herself, who bought the stuff. 

Plain not right, I sure hope she left  the show with some better knowledge of parenting/family skills 

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
December 31, 2005, 6:34 pm CST

Good for You ...there are better easier ways!

Quote From: filindown

This is the 4 night I have done it, and so far I have only sent one bag, the size of a grocery bag, to the depot.  Tonight I made sure to let them know they still have about 30 minutes before I go in to check in on them, and I hear them putting everything away in its place.  Still Hopeful, I want them to learn that if you keep your things organized and neat nothing will be broken and misplaced.  They seemed to think I would just clean everything every morning after they left for school.  When they noticed I wasn't they were fighting over where who put what and so on.  So this way they know ahead of time, that I give them 1 hour before bedtime to pick up and get ready for bed.  I feel they are old enough now to pick up after themselves.  Theirs no more excuses.

Looks you have succeeded, and letting them know ahead of time, what you expect and consequences, is good parenting...I wish you well,  seems you have a handle on it. 

I myself have threatened to fill a garbage bag and throw out or give away...but...they were warned ahead of time, gotten very close to going thru with the disipline, but they managed to get the job done before the deadline and before I had to take the drastic measures, I had warned them about.   

Good Parenting is easier in the long run than Bad Parenting. Getting Respect is more likely when respect has been taught, in the first place. 

Theyre are other ways of managing "messy kids & family members" than doing it  sneakyly, without telling them and taking their items and selling them, is not my way, and I feel it is disrespectiful, I feel there are healthier ways to address the problem like "filindown" has found..... 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board