Message Boards

Messages By: manusamoa

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
March 31, 2007, 2:07 pm CDT

Living with Obesity

I am  not obese and never have been, but I can relate to people who are. I married a wonderful woman who had children from a previous marriage and one of them is obese. I mean morbidly obese, weighing more than 600 pounds. This child has never worked a day and is not a US citizen. Even though this child is not a US citizen the government still pays our more than $600 a month in Social  Security disability, which this person has never contributed to. The cause of this disability is depression. After a few years, the weight became such an issue an operation was authorized, gastric bypass, costing the taxpayers more than $30,000 and a hospital stay costing over $100,000. It has been years since the operation and to  this date there has been no weight loss, if anything there has been a weight gain. How is it after a gastric  bypass operation and years later the situation is no better. I think her child does not want to loose  the weight, contrary to what the child says. I have had to live with this for years and even though I have never  been overweight, I had to deal with it every day.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
sad
January 28, 2008, 3:52 pm CST

Surgery is not always the answer

I have read and heard many stories about overweight people who want surgery to loose weight. They think surgery is the miracle that will magically make the weight go away. Surgery is not alwasys the answer, it is only a method to an end. People who want surgery have to fully understand all aspects about this action. I know from experience. I have a loved one who weighed 650 lbs before surgery and was in terrible health. When she collapsed and had to go to the hospital, the doctors finally decided to go ahead with the surgery or she might die. After the surgery she was in the hospital ICU for 3 weeks, then in a hospital room for another 6 weeks. After she was released she was released and went to a care home in a wheel chair. With the help of a personal trainer she is no longer in a wheel chair and lives at home. The problem is she still weighs her original weight. She has not lost any weight because of the surgery. Even after the surgery she still eats as much as she did before the surgery, which is not supposed to happen. People need to realize that diet and exercise is as much a part of loosing weight as the surgery is. Anyone expecting to have the surgery and loose the weight without doing anything else or making any other changes is only fooling themselves. I admire everyone who makes the effort and looses the weight, that shows the desire and comittment to do what is necessary. For those who do not, I already know the results.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board