Messages By: chardonnaykj

User Mood
Mellow

Message Emote
blank
September 3, 2006, 9:58 pm CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Quote From: smgrace

I too have suffered from PPD after both my children were born. With both I had c-sections and bad recoveries with each surgery. At first my husband just thought "oh a few weeks and you'll snap out of it" but when I did not, and was depressed, wouldn't hold my firstborn, wouldn't eat (and I am an eater)...I went to seek help. I too am on medications and see a therapist every 2 weeks or so..maybe longer if I am feeling well.  I also have a great support system around me now. Those who know what I struggle with, who are there to listen, help or even learn about it so they can help me out.  It is a slow battle that does not just up and go away but it can be won!!

I agree that you should go to see a counselor. It is great to just get your feelings out in the open or to hear them out loud. Plus maybe join a local mom's group. We found one at meetup.com or yahoo.com in our local area and would meet with mom's once a week to let our kids play and discuss issues such as this.  I hope it works out. You will get through it!

i did not know that depression runs in families. My mom was fine, but not my aunts. I thought I just had really bad PMS. I told my OBGYN that I just felt like one day driving off the edge of the freeway. He had his nurse walk me to the therapist office. He called ahead and they just opened the door and let me in.  After that episode I was sent to a psych(SP?) I have learned a lot since then and the most important thing I needed to realize is that mental illness is just like diabetes or high blood pressure. It's something wrong with the chemicals in your brain. Just like some have problems with thier blood. Go to a reputable Dr., I do take a pill everyday, but i feel pretty good. He also taught me an important lesson about we women....we must learn to take "Me Time". I think of it like a menu. Some days I only get an appetizer ( bath), sometimes and entree(dinner with the girls) Find out what works for you...but definitly talk to a Dr. Stay Cool

User Mood
Mellow

Message Emote
blank
September 3, 2006, 10:19 pm CDT

Overcoming Grief

Quote From: didntknow

DEAR FREIND OF DR. PHIL,

I LOST MY HUSBAND 1-1-2001 TO PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIA. WE HAD BEEN MARRIED FOR 20 YEARS AND I DIDNT KNOW HE WAS SICK UNTIL THE LAST YEAR OF HIS LIFE WHEN I HAD HIM COMMITED TO SEVERAL HOSPITALS, HE WAS SO SICK HE THOUGHT EVERYONE WAS OUT TO HURT HIM SOMEHOW. I JUST WISHED I COULD HAVE HELPED HIM MORE MAYBE HE WOULDNT HAVE JUMPED. HE LEFT BEHIND 2 KIDS THAT ADORED HIM. I AM BOTHERED BY THE FACT THAT THE PEOPLE I THOUGHT WERE MY FREINDS ARE GONE NOW, THEY SAY THE PAIN OF REMEMBERING HIM IS TOO MUCH SO THEY JUST DONT COME AROUND ANYMORE. ITS BEEN VERY HARD BUT I THINK TIME HEALS, ALONG WITH GODS LOVE. PLEASE PRAY FOR US AND ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE EFFECTED BY THIS DISEASE. THANKS.

dear didntknow, sorry about the loss of your husband. My mom died 2 months ago. Even though we knew she only had 4 months it is still tough. I have a secret though. If you pray for your loved one to visit you in your dreams, they will. It doesn't always work but it has 4 times. I got to see my mom's face and she showed me heaven. It was one big party. The best part..everyone looks great..no sickness..just happy and singing. When I really miss her I ask her and she comes to me. I bet it would work for you too.

Also did you know that whenever you see a special sunset, sunrise, or beautiful sky that is your loved one saying hello. That is why sometimes we don't notice the sky and then other times we see the most wonderful picture.  Someone sent that sky to you. See I can't paint or draw and so I decided that when you get to heaven all the un-artist get to paint beautiful skies. Good luck to you. and Take Care.....by the way I hope you have met some new friends or have tried to re-connect with the old ones.. 

User Mood
Mellow

Message Emote
blank
September 5, 2006, 7:12 pm CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Quote From: mkorpik

May I ask what your symptoms were associated with your PPD?  I am a new mom as well--he'll be 11 months here soon.  I am not sure what is "wrong" with me but I sometimes explode.  I feel as though my head spins like that of the Exocist.  I keep thinking that all I need is some alone time, but I'm beginning to wonder is there is something more to  it.  Thank you for sharing anything that may help me decide what "it" is.

For me I would just explode. The counter in the kitchen would be full of stuff and i would just let go. throw it all on the floor becausei was so frustrated i couldn't keep up the house like I did before I was pregnant. Also, I did not want to leave my bed, didn't care if I showered, ate or did much of anything. The exploding happened right before my periods. but several times driving I would just say to myself, I think I'll just drive off the edge of the freeway. Of course in my mind I was thinking right after that, I want to be the one to raise my daughter. I can't just leave her without a mom. Those were the thoughts that made me talk to my mom and to seek professional help. A good dr. will give you a test to take on your emotions and feeling and will also talk to you before ever giving meds. He will want to talk to your husband and get a feel for u and your needs. He should not just give you meds without a though(sp) exam. of that i am certain You don't want any chemical messing anything that does not need fixing.... Sorry so long...but so v ery important to your health. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board