Messages By: bostke

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 12, 2008, 9:20 am CDT

07/11 Abducted from School

Quote From: fluffyfat

Those were my thoughts exactly. The mentally ill man who picked up the little girl probably was under the delusion that she was his child or that he was protecting her from something. It's this type of gentle schizophrenic who never gets the medical care he needs, because he isn't considered to be "a danger to himself or others." His parents can take him to the hospital a hundred times and, obeying the law, the doctors have to release him after 48 hours unless he's threatening to either kill himself or someone else.

People don't undestand that a person having a psychotic episode is like someone having a dream while awake. Think of all the weird ideas you've had in your dreams and then imagine how it would have been if you had been up and walking around during that dream!

Most people with schizophrenia respond well to medications that straighten out the hormonal system in their brain. They are then able to stay focused on reality, they no longer hear voices or delusions and they are able to work and live happily along side the rest of us.

However, if they don't respond to the medication and remain out of control then they need to be committed to a well run mental institution. What a shame that our society has denied this basic care to those who need it.

cancer was once the hidden problem in society and now it is mental illness. God bless the parents of the mentally ill man for holding their heads up and trying to enlighten society regarding their attempts to help the son they too were losing. It was not the man's fault that he was delusional and certainly not theirs.

expecting a mentally ill person to monitor their meds or even for a loved one to do it puts the emphasis on the victim - perhaps like telling a cancer sufferer to go home and shrink the tumor.

couldn't Dr. Phil have shown more compassion and faulted society more than playing the victim/aggressor card and the race card. Both these cards only scratch at the hurt. Society must be lead to where it accepts the realities of the mentally ill.

Punishment , in this case, is not my problem but it is a small solution to a huge, swept under the carpet, group of illnesses.

Just as in a cancer, research and multi-level approaches to it are necessary.

How sad that a psychologist played showman with these parents instead of a vanguard for where I hope society is eventually heading. Compassion, understanding, guilt-freeing,

God bless this man's parents for letting us know he came from and has a loving home but that still is not enough to overcome this illness.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 12, 2008, 9:29 am CDT

07/11 Abducted from School

Quote From: diannevre

First and most importantly, I am thrilled that both children were found safe and alive.  As a former School Board President and Chairman of Policy and Procedure, I am extremely upset.  The Florida Long Branch Elementary School, as well as, the Superintendent deserves to be reprimanded even moreso than the aid who allowed the young boy to leave the school. 

The grandfather who was in the audience was allowed to ask questions to the school administrators.  All were answered but one and Dr. Phil seemed either to go deaf, or deliberately decided to ignore the fact that it was asked and wasn't answered.  The question was: "Why wasn't 911 called immediately when the child's aunt came to pick up her nephew?"  This is a no-brainer.  That should have instinctively and procedurally the first thing that should have occurred.  The police cannot help if they are not called.  In situations like this, every second counts on saving a child's life.  This part of the show was not funny at all...it was inconceivable that such a lack of common sense exists in school systems today.  I hope the family goes after them big time.

Dr. Phil, you should have thanked the administration for coming on, but they are culpable.  9-1-1 SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED and the QUESTION SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANSWERED !

I too was surprised at the patronizing way Dr. Phil talked with the representatives. He also allowed the woman who allowed him to leave to be mis represented as a teacher. She was a teacher aide or, as they wanted to call her a para professional. Whatever title this infers.  Yes, as teachers we are underpaid, but hang us when we deserve to be hanged......

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
frustrated
November 3, 2008, 1:07 pm CST

abduction by stranger

I was abducted over 50 years ago and my mother's voice when I first saw her was, in my memory, an admonishing one. I was an adult before I was in therapy and hypnotized to take away a lot of the words that alluded to how ''bad" i was. unfortunately I still carry some of it with me. I work every day to praise myself and try to convince myself that I was a survivor because I did escape. Hollow words but I try.

I say that Mr. May will not ruin my life and is deceased now no doubt but one thing that upsets me is that I dont feel we can ever enpower a child to outsmart or outthink a determined pedophile who can plan around anything we tell our children. It upsets me every time I hear adults (parents, tv, experts, police) trying to do so.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board