Messages By: sueramsey

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
quiet
October 5, 2006, 1:23 pm CDT

Disabled and living in an abeled world

Quote From: hotnychick

I want to thank you for posting here-I wanted to post but I did not want any backlash from people who may seem ignorant-   I  have a disabilty myself-  I personally do not like the word'handicapped'   I have wasted so much time trying to explain the difference to people-but all they do is wave me off or ignore me-like THEY know better-

I am really glad you posted-  I have to come back here again gladly-to re read what you posted- 

When I was in college-I was the president of a group of people with various different disabilities-

Oh-I am reading what you wrote-and we MUST chat again!!

Take care-Please know that you are NOT alone-And  thank you so much for the courage to post this new board- 

Take care-

N

PS-  I sure do understand the frustration and feeling lonely-  I assure you -you are NOT alone!!

Greetings.

I worked for over 20 years as a nurse for mentally challenged children and adults.  During this time, it took me over 22 years to obtain a degree in Psychology/Sociology.  I had dreams of going into Christian Counseling until I contracted Guillian Barre last year.  The doctors denial of my denial of being ill almost cost me my life.  lost all ability to walk, talk, feed myself, and perform all daily personal care, and spent 6 months in two rehabilitation hospitals.

I truly took the ability to function without assistance for granted until I found myself in a wheelchair.  One thing I did  notice was pay telephones are not equipped for handicapped people.  If I could not place the money in the slot in time my call was disconnected and I had to try to dial all over again.  Also, I tried to maneuver the wheelchair into elevators, only to have the door continued closing on me.  The one thing I did notice was that a majority of people are kind and are willing to help.  But, there is also an equal or greater amount of people who stare and make very rude statements about my disability.  I may not look sick on the outside, but live within me with all the pain and discomfort that I endure each day, and perhaps you too will see how hard it is to leave home.  I know that children are inquisitive and will often stare, but when they are accompanied with an adult, they are not corrected when their remarks equal the same prejudicial remarks.

I once had a 6year old child comment that all wheelchair people should not be allowed in the stores because it slows regular people from shopping.  I was deeply hurt, but increasingly mad at the parents who just chucked and walked away.

My one main complaint is that even though I am disabled now, there are few employers who will take the chance and hire you.  Of course the Office of Vocation Rehabilitation is available, but when the unemployment rate in your living area is high, an abled person will be considered over the disabled. 

Do you have any suggestions how I can become a viable person to society while I am still speed riding my wheelchair?

Sue

User Mood
Peaceful

Message Emote
quiet
October 23, 2006, 11:12 pm CDT

Building Defensive Walls of Prejudice

I was quite interested in Monday 10/23 broadcast on House of Hate.  The first thing I did noticed and continued throughout the entire program was the defensive walls and boundaries each and every person displayed.

If you would view their mannerisms and the body language you will see that each and every person knew of their hatred's but are willing to live with them.  But the one way they could maintain their identity of prejudice is by building walls.

Monday's show depicted verbal attacks on other people in the house.  They each have tried to divide and conquer an opposing force by forming allies.  So the person who now entered the house with one vile viewpoint has gained insight to another prejudicial emotion.

I am disabled and obese.  My disability came from an illness, and the obesity derived from my inability to function, so I fed on my  frustrations.  I was also a psychiatric nurse for over 20 years working with the mentally challenged and physically handicapped children and adults.

One main viewpoint I stressed to all my clients was that each and every person carries a disability in their life.  But.......we are to move past that disability and find solutions to conquer the problems that would keep us wounded.

I have one suggestion for the household.  Instead of attacking Jimmy on his obesity and body odor, why could they not place a chair in the bathtub and let the shower water cleanse him.  Sometimes it feels great to have another person wash your back.  I am quite sure if the other man in the house would stop brainwashing Jimmy with his NeoNazi ideas and become a humanitarian, then all would benefit.

By Jimmy's loud boisterous behavior is his way of building defensive wall.  He views everyone in the household as his enemy, so the more grotesque he can become the more people will leave him alone [or shun ] him.

Thank you for listening to me

Sue

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board