Message Boards

Messages By: louisianamom

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
October 14, 2006, 7:35 pm CDT

picky eating not always no big deal

I've been reading a lot of these messages about picky eaters and most of them seem to say the same thing.  They'll eat when they are hungry.  Believe me, I always heard the same thing.  I want people to know it's not always the case.  My 8 year old son will hardly eat anything.  If I let him, he would go a couple of days without eating or maybe take  a couple of bites.  I finally took him to the doctor when he was 7 and falling behind his friends in growth and he had fallen off the growth curve for height and weight.  After many tests, we were told he has a constitutiinal growth delay.  A condition, not a disease.  He's healthy, but he is underweight.   The doctors say he will eventually catch up, but to make him eat.  I have to buy Boost shakes for him to drink everyday and still he only weighs 45 pounds at 8 years old.  I felt guilty for asking the doctor about him being so small because everyone said kids will eat on their own.  I am glad I went or he might be even further behind.  Try letting the eating issues work themselves out, but after a reasonable amount of time, don't feel guilty about asking your doctor if there is a problem.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
October 14, 2006, 7:47 pm CDT

husband having gastric bypass

My husband is scheduled for a laparoscopic gastric bypass on November 2, 2006.  He is excited but nervous.  He has been wanting this for about 5 years, but his insurance did not cover it until recently.  I am a little nervous also.  This will change our whole lifestyle.  Our form of entertainment is going out to eat.........by ourselves or with friends.  We have been married for 12 years (together for 15) and I have never known him thin.  I just wonder how this is going to change our relationship.  Any advice would be welcomed.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
happy
November 9, 2006, 5:26 pm CST

He did it!

My husband had his surgery a week ago today and has already lost 20 pounds!  The staff at the hospital was amazed at how quickly he recovered and he's very happy so far.   I will be happy as long as he is healthy.  He is adjusting to not eating much and misses food a little, but he said it's worth it.   For anyone who is considering it, so far it has been a good experience.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
March 7, 2007, 8:01 pm CST

update on husband

My husband has his laparoscopic gastric bypass on November 2, 2006.  He has lost approximately 90 pounds and has been happily closet-shopping!  He has gotten back into clothes that he hasn't worn in ten years.  The other day, he had to fly for a business trip and didn't need the seatbelt extender on the plane.  He was really excited also because the tray table folded all the way down without touching his belly.  I'm really happy for him.  Some people have said they wouldn't do what he did because he can't enjoy a good meal anymore.  He does.......just not as large of one.  I'm just happy that I'll probably have him around a lot longer now and I know that his self-esteem is way up too.  I think it was a good thing for him and I encourage anyone who is considering it to find a wonderful doctor like Dr. Hargroder in Baton Rouge. 

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
May 3, 2007, 9:25 pm CDT

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: graveoos

Hello, I'm 29 years old.. 5ft and weigh about 300 pounds.  On May 24 I will have gastric bypass surgery done.  For about 2 years I have been going through the procedures to get this surgery approved with my insurance in which they did.  I have had many tests as well as seen a psychologist for emotional support.  I can say I'm happy I'm going to get the surgery, because I feel it will give me a happy and healthier life.  Right now my blood pressure goes up and down.  I have sleep Apnea.  My back and knees hurt.  I have difficulty tying my shoes or playing with my children.  I also feel so embrassed when engaging in intimacy with my husband even though he my best friend.  I'm getting so nervous of my upcoming surgery and truefully a little scare of all of the stories I have read about and listen too.  But for the most part it seems most people are happy that they received the surgery.  I believe if you are truely willing to change your life to loose weight, then I believe it will all pay off in the end.  Being fat is terrible.  I have been overweight ever since the 2nd grade and I just want me to come out of all this that has been keeping me away from the world.  I also want to live longer and to be able to enjoy my children and my husband.  So please pray for me on a healthy outcome of my surgery.  I will keep you updated once I have had the procedure done.  Let everyone enjoy life to the fullest and let all of your dreams come true!
I wanted to take a minute to encourage you.  My husband had the surgery on November 2 of 2006.  He has lost 120 pounds so far.  He has about 75 to go to get to where he really wants to be.  He is already smaller than I have ever seen him in the 15 years I've known him.  His blood pressure has stabilized, his knees don't hurt anymore and he doesn't snore anymore (which is great for me!).  His back still hurts a little, but the docs seem to contribute that to his body adjusting to everything moving around inside and his spine realigning after years of carrying all that extra weight.  He has had almost no complications.  He recently had a few spells of nausea when he first started a meal. It was like the first bite or two plugged up the entrance to his stomach and he had to go throw up.  He is learning to chew everything very well and getting used to his new portion sizes.  I think I have more regrets than he does because he never wants to go out to eat anymore and that was one of my favorite things to do.  I understand though and I definitely am glad he is so much healthier.  I think he may need a tummy tuck eventually because he carried all of his extra weight in his belly and it is sagging now.  I am more confidentb now that he will be around a while to help me raise the kids.  I know he would do it again in a heartbeat.  I hope everything goes as well for you. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board