Message Boards

Messages By: bsstites

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
November 7, 2006, 9:01 am CST

success with asperger's...my son's story

I have a 17 year old son with Asperger's syndrome.  He was diagnosed with his disability when he was 8 years old.  School officials knew something was unique with my son but couldn't lay their finger on it until 3rd grade. 

The way my son described himself was that he "couldn't change channels".  I sat down with him, showed him printouts that I had gotten off the computer about his disorder.  Explained to him what his strengths and weaknesses are and told him to pretend that his hand was a remote control.  When his teacher changed classes, I wanted him to "push a button" on his hand to help him change channels.  After that, he could keep up with the rest of his class.

Kevin has always been in regular classes with his peers.  The only outside help he has received is from the school resource room which he went to for 1 hour each day as a study hall.  He no longer needs that class.  Currently he is a senior in our local high school, an A-B student, with a steady girlfriend, is holding down a job, and no one would ever guess he has any type of disorder. 

Recently my son asked me if I would take away the Asperger's if I could, and my answer was no.  He is such a wonderful, caring person and I can't imagine him any other way.

By the way, I also have another son with a totally different type of autism, one with ADD tendancies, and two other "littles".  I wouldn't trade any of them for anything in the world.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board