Message Boards

Messages By: scenceable

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
February 1, 2007, 8:30 pm CST

my opinion

I can't find proof on the forum that the person posting as erica is her. In fact, there's way more proof to the contrary. Firstly, she spelt her own name wrong, and is using horrible grammar.

Nonetheless, my opinion on this is that she was right in at least seeing him again. For curiosity's sake if nothing else. I can't imagine her wanting a relationship or anything with him, however that is just my opinion and it's her decision.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
February 1, 2007, 8:53 pm CST

a different point of view

I know everyone in this thread (and board) are parents or older people. so, I figure, I'd give you all a different point of view.

I'm 16. I go on the 'net A LOT. Reading through some of your posts and points of view, it seems so far off from the reality of the internet.

Now, I do have a few different internet blogs, and use many chat sites. Most sites like this have capabilities to restrict who views and contacts you. I personally am extremely protective of who I talk to online, and what personal information is available. This does not mean, however, that I am going to go to extremes like never posting a photo of myself, or never talking to someone I haven't met online.

I guess I can understand parent's concern for their children, but in all honesty, it really matters how the specific user acts and dictates themselves online. If your kid goes and posts publicly on myspace or whatever and gives out personal information, then they're setting themselves up for possible internet stalking. I don't think making your kid go to a library or watching them online is the solution at all. That's just extremely strict and pointless; and will make your child resist you and loose respect for you.

If you want your kids to listen and be smart online (i.e. stay off public chat rooms and don't talk to people they don't know) then maybe you should talk to them like people instead of imposing a whole ton of rules, and gain their respect. Ask them about what they're doing, make them comfortable in talking to you. Then if they ever have a problem about something happening online (like getting weird emails or whatever) then they're more likely to come ask you for help then try to do it on their own.

The reason people seek companionship online is because of a lack of support offline. The solution isn't banning the internet; the internet is beneficial for children to a degree. You have to talk to your children about how to be on the internet, be informed, and be supportive. Kids want to be talked to like people, not talked down to.

One thing I agree with for sure is keeping the computer in the living room. But thats the same for any electronic appliance, TV, video games, etc. should always stay out of bedrooms. That's just my opinion, it allows too much freedom.

anyhow, I hope that did give some insight, I'm just posting my opinions. :)

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board