Message Boards

Messages By: momocto

Message Emote
blank
July 22, 2005, 6:43 pm CDT

Hi!

Hi Deb!

Boy, this is going to take some getting used to! 

If you are new to the board I offer you a hearty welcome and tell you that you have come to the best place for support you can find.  We understand what you've been through and how it feels probably better than anyone else, so stay a while and you'll see quickly how much care, love, and kindness can be found here.

My name is Millie and I have been on this board since the beginning of the weight loss challenge in Sept. '03.  I lost A LOT of weight and then gained A LOT back, but my friends here have seen me through and been faithful.  I'm currently maintaining a 53 pound loss, for which I'm very grateful.

It's good to be back.

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
confused
July 22, 2005, 8:30 pm CDT

Cindy

Hi Cindy!

Did you click the "submit" button when you made your changes?  I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I just wanted to cover all bases.  I couldn't change my birthday either, though they do have the right year.  See ya soon.

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
hopeful
July 23, 2005, 2:00 pm CDT

Greg

Greg, I think your goals are inspired.  You are going to do something great, not only for yourself and your wife, but for the country!  I'm excited about what you are doing and looking forward to hearing (and seeing) your progress.  Glad you're here!

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
blank
July 26, 2005, 10:53 am CDT

Even more

I'm sorry to have to pass on more bad news, but here goes.  My miscarriage became septic and gave me an infection.  After losing two units of blood, I had an emergency D&C last night at the hospital.  Thank God I am home now and that I didn't go through all of that at home.  And thank God for faithful friends who brought me to the hospital and have arranged meals for our family for the whole week!  What a blessing they and all of you are!

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
blank
July 27, 2005, 5:30 am CDT

Cindy

Thank you for asking....my husband was gone when I started miscarrying, but he came home on Saturday.  Problem is, when I went to the hospital on Monday, he was just starting his new position here in Norfolk that day.  It was a tough coincidence.  We both have been incredibly stressed out.  When both of us are struggling, we tend to take it out on each other, not a good scene.  I'm hoping today things will settle down a bit.  He had to take my daughter to the hospital yesterday for a gash on her hand.  He was gone about four hours, poor thing.

ANYWAY,  I hope you all don't think I've got an advantage, having been in the hospital!  The blood I lost is probably replaced already.LOL  And they re-hydrated me, so I'm all puffed out!  August 1st is coming fast!  I can't wait to see Beverley here again as a regular fixture.  And I can't wait to hear how all of you did this month!  It's going to be exciting.  It really helped me stay motivated this time. 

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
embarrassed
July 27, 2005, 5:35 am CDT

Megfan

I meant MEGAN!  But I couldn't backspace on my mistake.  Oh well, I'm a "Meg fan" anyway!  I must confess I'm a daily weigher too.  I know it's bad, but I can't seem to stop.  Maybe Cindy and I could 12 step it together :-)  Thanks for the info.  Maybe some day it will sink in.

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
blank
July 27, 2005, 8:03 pm CDT

Cindy, you're on!

I also vow not to weigh until Sunday.  Boy, that will be hard!  But we'll make it.

Girls, I don't envy you your sick little people.  It's been a while for us (which only means it will be soon).  I will pray for you and the children.  Oh, and by the way I heard the BRATT diet was bananas, rice, applesauce, tea, and toast.  I also use dry Cheerios, pretzels, popsicles, and ginger ale.  Works every time.  For adults, I recommend just stopping eating altogether.

Cherie, what you wrote about metabolism scares me.  My sister told me once she was on a plan where she ate very little, and got to the point where all she ate was egg whites and plain lettuce and she still gained weight.  As soon as I'm feeling better, I'm going to get moving and bring that metabolism in line!  And the hospital shake thing... I did it for three days and couldn't take it anymore.

About the S word.  That had been part of my life until 12 years ago.  I read a sermon from a seventeenth century preacher that changed my view of it completely.  He said that S was the ultimate in selfishness because not only were you thinking only of your own problems, you were ignoring all that God had in store for you in service to Him for the rest of your life.  That spoke to me and helped me start living instead of wishing for death.  I read an interesting quote in my daughter's literature yesterday.  A young girl, Catherine, was talking with an older woman and told her of her boredom with learning to sew, doctor, spin, and cook.  Instead she wanted to go crusading, like Uncle George or be a goat herd like Perkin.  The lady responded, "...in the world to come, you will not be asked 'Why were you not George?' or 'Why were you not Perkin?' but 'Why were you not Catherine?'"  We're so busy looking horizontally and comparing and coveting, that we can't even live vertically and be whom God wants us to be.  It's a hard thing, but it's the only thing.

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
blank
July 28, 2005, 10:26 am CDT

Cool

Jan, I clapped my hands and almost started to cry when I read your news.  WOW!  I love that train imagery and actually didn't realize that I kind of see it that way, too.  Like last night when I had some ice cream and a brownie, I knew I was throwing water on my coal fire, but the difference is, it wasn't mindless like my eating in the past.  I have a treat every now and then, but somehow I am able to skip it for a few days too.  It's been wonderful.  But I am so very proud of you and how you have just turned this whole thing around and gotten going again.  It takes a lot of perseverence, patience, and strength.  We all want our weight to melt off over night and when we put on more and have to re-lose it, like me, it's hard to come back, but oh so worth it.  Congratulations, you Orient Express!  Here's to breaking new records!

My infection is gone.  I had three different IV antibiotics, a powerful cocktail.  Now I'm "just weak, like little kittens" as Mammy said in Gone With the Wind.  Hattie McDaniel was and incredible person.  Did you ever see her acceptance speech for her Oscar?  What a special lady.

Oh Cindy????  Did you behave yourself this morning and stay off that scale????  It was hard for me, but once I ate breakfast, the temptation was gone.

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
blank
July 30, 2005, 6:09 am CDT

Thoughts

Rebecca, you are very eloquent.  Don't ever apologize for writing all of your feelings.  There's nothing wrong with a long post.  The thing that struck a chord with me in your post was the thoughts of being disgusting.  This has been on my mind quite a bit lately.  I didn't see the recent dr. phil show on sex, but one of the quotes really resonated with me.  You know, having eleven children doesn't mean I love sex.  I don't.  I rarely enjoy it.  My husband has obviously demonstrated to me that his feelings for me have not changed.  He is in love with me and desires me just as strongly as he did when we were first married.  I'm very grateful for his attitude and his love.  But I wish I could feel the same way.  I'm embarrassed and feel the "disgusting" label every minute of my life.  It is easy to feel this way because of the looks I get if I wear shorts or even if I don't.  People are disgusted by me and I am by myself.  And even though my husband isn't, I can't get past it.

Beverley, lovely to see you here and counting the days to when you'll be a regular fixture again.

Cindy, I have still stayed off the scale, but must confess to measuring the other day.  Personally, I don't think staying off has done any good.  I need the daily reinforcement.  I like the daily reinforcement.  Also, it gives me clues, like if I eat salty food, I immediately gain water weight, so it helps me know what will not help me!  I'm afraid I'm just going to go back to weighing.  There is value in it and I don't see any negatives.

About your job, I'm sorry you weren't able to get the position, but it doesn't make you any less of a quality person.  I think you're great and I'm sure your patients love you.  Would that I could be one!

Love,  Millie

Message Emote
blank
July 30, 2005, 6:53 pm CDT

Correct, as usual

Of course you're right about the negative self talk.  In the beginning of dr. phil I really worked on this.  I haven't touched it in quite a while.  Time to re-visit.  Also, I was thinking after I wrote to you that I don't have to take all those people to bed with me, so why should I care what they think?  That was a helpful thought.

I'm glad you feel about weighing the way I do, Cindy.  If it ain't hurtin', why fix it?

Dee, I think Beverley will go over the results on Monday to make a determination.  I don't see how anyone can touch Jan, though.  Wow!  What a job she did!

Love,  Millie

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board