Message Boards

Messages By: voodidit

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
blank
July 29, 2005, 12:21 pm CDT

MS and more

For many years I have had daily headaches and problems with balance, strength and double vision. In early 2003 I was finally diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis which finally put a name on what was going on.

Later that year after a MRI on my neck and spine I found out I also had Thyroid Cancer. I had a total thyroidectomy in Oct. of 2003 and it has been a long road.

The surgery has caused me to be hypocalcemic because my remaining parathyroids will no longer regulate my calicum levels. So in addition to all my MS meds I have to take mega doses of Calcium daily in order to keep my levels decent.

I have had 2 rounds or RAI and just recently finished 8 weeks off my thyroid  meds prepping for a scan to see if I would have  to have more radiation. Luckily this time around I can out clean, so now it's wait until next year.

Along with all my health issues I became a grandma twice in the past 2 years, first in Sept. 2003 and again in September 2004. I was also forced to take a medical retirement from work and am now on disability. Did I mention I am only 38?

Every part of my life is stressful, because of all my running back and forth to the doctors and my problems caused by the health issues it's almost impossible for me to even take care of my grandkids.

I do try to keep an upbeat outlook on everything, after all things could be a lot worse.

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
blank
October 3, 2005, 1:50 pm CDT

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: happyzot

Hi there, 

I read your post.  Wow, girlfriend you have a full plate!!!!   I recently had my thyroid out and noticed you mentioned being hypocalcemic.  I am having calcium problems right after also.  Can you give me any info, tips or pointers on things you've learned since having the thyroid out???  I would really appreciate anything you can tell me!!!   

Thanks 

Karen 

So far the only thing that has really worked for me is high doses of calcium and Vitamin D. i take 6 Oscal +D every day and a 25,000iu of perscription vitamin D 3 times a week. Even with that my calcium still dips a lot. the doctor says that my para-thyroid that is left will probably never take up regulating my calcium so I'll have to take high doses from now on. 

Just another price to pay..lol 

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
blank
October 3, 2005, 1:53 pm CDT

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: labelfree

I have something for you to hold on to that will make you so happy!

40's are the new 20's!  So you have to wait two more years before you become YOUNG again!!!!!

In my 20's I was OLD FAT and had old lady hair...

Now I am 41 sexy and pretty pretty hair.....Oh my gosh what does it feel like to be a GRANDMA...is it like a MOM but better or is it AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Write back...Your a winner.....I can tell....I know these things!

Sorry it ook me so long to reply! I have to say being a grandma is much better than being a mom...when I'm done spoiling them someone else has to deal with it..lol. 

If it wasn't for them I'd probably be crazier than I already am! 

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
blank
December 16, 2005, 7:51 pm CST

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: librajen

After the birth of my son, when he was 12 weeks old- I was diagnosed with MS.  I went through some dark days, with a tiny baby, having to go on disability from my job, and having to take some hideous daily medications. 

But, that was 6 years ago.  I am blessed to stay home with my son and get paid from my disability.  I am lucky to get all the hideous medications paid for - $2000 / month - (yay Canada!).  I am lucky to have friends and family who understand and who are there for me.  I am lucky to have a husband who is my best friend, and never thought twice about the MS.  "In sickness and in health" are part of our wedding vows. 

I sometimes have trouble walking, seeing, controlling spasms.  I have trouble keeping up with my son.  But I am blessed and so lucky to have him and my husband.  I feel dark some days, but I remind myself about what I have, and I feel better about life. 

Peace, 

Jennifer 

I've posted before about being diagnosed with MS and Thyroid cancer within a month.  It sounds like your husband is a great support system for you even on the bad days! 

I am also on disability and wish we had a program to pay for all the meds like up there in Canada! By the time ou pay your basics living expenses, the meds and doctors take everything else! 

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
blank
December 19, 2005, 11:43 pm CST

How I Fought My Illness

Quote From: barbjack

hi,i had my thyroid removed 10/2001 due to haveing hashomotoes.i take 5000 mg oscal aday and calcium levels are low.i feel sluggish alot.i have found that if you take the calcium on an empty stomach and eat 1 hour later it seems to absorb better(THAT WORKS FOR ME)i also get b-12 shots.sometimes after a thyroidectomy you can have an absorbtoin problem with calcium.have your doctor check your b-12.after  years of taking big green pills(OSCAL)you just get use to it after awhile and it becomes a routine.just remember you are not alone in this.take care.

I will definatly ask my insurance if itcan be covered, it gets expensine, going through 2 or 3 bottles a month at 16.00 a pop. 

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
blank
December 19, 2005, 11:58 pm CST

Marriage sucks.

A little background, I met and began dating my husband in 1986. We dated for most of the next 13 years with a few time outs here and there. We finaly marred in 1999.  

Our main problems revolve around the fact that he is bipolar and will not get medical help for it. I actually moved him out over  a year ago, but we still communicate. if I mention divorce he strts in on that he's just going to kill himself. 

I do care about him still, but I no longer truly love him because of the hell he has put me through, emotionaly, mentally and physically in that I have MS and have complications from thyroid cancer. He has never been there for me. Either I drive myself 2 hours to see my neuro or on of my parents drives me. 

he has also never financilly been in support in our marriage. I know we would both be better off divorced but he just doesn't want to let go. We have no kids, just pets, he took the dogs, I kept the cats. 

I want to go on with my life and it is impossible to do when someone keeps dragging you in and trying to make you feel sorry for him. It's not that i am interested in dating because that's the last thing on my mind. I just don't want the stress anymore because it doesn't help as far as my MS goes. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board