Message Boards

Messages By: cprimmer

User Mood
Distressed

Message Emote
blank
September 12, 2008, 5:41 pm CDT

The N- word debate

Wow!!!  As I watched the show I was amazed at the amount of anger coming from the man in the beanie.  I have always taught my children that all people should be treated with respect and dignity.   I felt that the gentleman in question needs to deal with his anger.  Yes it's horrible to use the N-word and I believe the word should never be used in any context however, anger to the degree I witnessed today is not the solution.  My grandmother always said you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!!!!  You can always fight a good fight without such a display of anger.

User Mood
Distressed

Message Emote
blank
September 13, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

Real Life

Quote From: elskin

I lost my husband at 23. I raised my two children well and recovered nicely. I naturally vivacious and generally happy. I always hoped I'd meet someone and remarry. I've had lots of ups and downs and always recovered. At 57 I thought I met THE man, I was so sure. For one year I was ecstatic and then he informed me it was not to be. I'm now 60, 20 pounds overweight, more in debt than I've ever been because I can't seem to hold a job, pretty much have no interests outside of my grandchildren, and I'm pretty much just hanging around until I die. I want to be excited about my life, but I just can't seem to get it going again. I've read and worked through "Self Matter" and it buoyed me up for awhile, but I just can't make the leap out of this hole. I just feel there is just too much grief.
I know how loss feels.  Although I divorced my husband and didn't loose him through death I was 26 years old with 3 children under 4 to raise.  It was very difficult and although I did remarry that too went the way of divorce but like I always told my children more so as a reminder to myself life is not fair you just have to get used to it.  It was and is a day to day struggle but I feel that's the key.  To not look too far into the future.  When you do that it gets daunting.    For me I had to tell myself every day and still do for most days that I am walking and breathing that's something, my children are here with me and are healthy that's something too.  I think sometimes that people(myself included) try to Leap out of the hole maybe we should just try and crawl out a little at a time.  I'm no expert and what works for some may not work for others but I found for myself that keeping track of the positives instead of the negatives helped me.  Keep your chin up!!!!

User Mood
Distressed

Message Emote
blank
October 25, 2008, 6:30 pm CDT

Discipline or Abuse?

I grew up in a household where discipline consisted of the belt or grounding.  I was once grounded for a total of 6 months.  Yes it was extreme and I still bear emotion scars as a result of my childhood.  At the same time as an adult I have come to realize that my parents did the best they could with what they knew.  Discipline I feel must be dished out with a measure of love.  My own children were disciplined when needed but they never doubted for a moment that they were loved and as adults themselves that's something they often say.  I would have to say that discipline needs to be corrective not just a punnishment.  A fine line but one each parent needs to find for themselves and their child.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board