Message Boards

Messages By: littlepist

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 17, 2005, 9:27 am CDT

WOW is all I can say at the moment but---

I don't know what made me jump to this board today.    I dont come here much anymore as most of the WLC boards are now inactive.   I have an online group that is still here that we formed in 2003 when Dr. Phil started his WLC.    We still have a good core membership and are still supporting each other.   

It seems after reading through this board that there is still a hugh need for more online support.  Helpful support-soft places to fall-and loving people.   I personally have lost 97 pounds (hit the 100 pound but gained a few over the summer) to date and now am going to concentrate on the next 50 pounds of my journey.   It's been up and down, but overall a wonderful trip.  I've met great (and not so great people), learned so much about myself, and learned that this works. 

Not only have I lost this weight but my husband while not even knowing what was going on also lost 60 pounds.  We both are healthier.  I no longer have to worry about getting knee replacement (maybe sometime but not in the near future),  take lots less medications (sure saves on the wallet) and am happier than I've been in years.    

Please keep coming and asking for help.   If you are interested in my group or even in how to get one of your own started email me at Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com. 

Asking for help then looking for it is just the beginning. 

Blessings, 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 24, 2005, 8:13 am CDT

Hi Friday and Linda

I'm sure you will find some great support here.  If you want to join some groups you can do a search on Yahoo for Dr. Phil.   I know that next to a live supporr group an online group is wonderful support. 

At the very least, keep coming here to find buddies.  Feel free to email me at anytime.  I know this works as I've lost almost 100 pounds to date.  What a celebration that will be!!    More than anything I have learned good eating/exercise habits that will stay for a lifetime.  My husband also lost 60 along the way.  For someone who used to laugh at my idea of exercise, he now enjoys a bike ride. 

So post away and you can reach me personally at Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com 

Blessings, 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 26, 2005, 8:43 am CDT

Thyroid problems

Quote From: ndlamb31

Hello, my name is Jennifer. I am a 31 year old mother of four small children.  When I had my last child, I had my tubes tied.  From there my thyroid went out.  I gained so much weight  in such a small amount of time it was rediculious.  I now weigh 228.  It has taken my doctors 7 months to get my levels in order.  I went to the doctor today for my  blood test results and found out I am where I am supposed to be.  I am currently taking armour thyroid and I am stuck at 228.  I am so depressed.  I was told by my doctor that when I got leveled out my weight would practically fall off.  I am so heavy right now, it hurts to stand and do my house work.  I am so depressed when I see myself, I cry.  I have never been this big before and I don't think I can handle it much longer.  Is there anybody out there with the same problem who can give me some tips and ideas.  To let you know, I am not an overeater.  I barely have an appetite.  I try to walk and exercise but get so tired that I quit.  I try to eat all the right things and nothing works.

Gosh that is a biggy isn't it?    I was told the same thing about 22 years ago, that with the meds level I would lose the weight.  Well I spent 20 years dieting just to try and do that.  I fast ended up fighting to stay between 250-275 as I just could not hit 300.  Seemed death to me.  But diets didn't do much good, I lost and gained several thousand pounds over those years.  And I don't want to even think of the money I spent!! 

But this works.  Take it 10 pounds at a time.  Read that book and do the work.  I lost 80 pounds to start with, kept it off for close to a year as I lost 15 more and now I'm going to get busy and lose the last 50 I need to.  I've proven to myself that it will stayoff with the changes I've made in my lifestyle. 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 26, 2005, 8:55 am CDT

Hi Friday

Quote From: rolfecne

Hi Char, 

So happy for you that you lost all that weight. I think if I ever lost all that I would think I had a new lease on life. 

How long did it take you to lose all that. I know if I could lose I think my husband also, would try to lose some. we both have a long way to go. I guess I should think about losing 10 pounds and then work from there. When you think too much it gets a little depressing. 

Thanks for writing,  

God Bless 

Friday 

I lost the orginal very quickly as I changed my lifestyle and added exercise.   I started with Dr. Phil back in Nov 2003.   It took about 9 months to lose 80 pounds.  Pretty good since I didn't have the staff and did it on my own.   But I found myself with loose skin,  flabby muscles and no tone.  So I backed off on trying to lose more and focused on toning up, building firm muscles etc.  Again I didn't have professional staff or  I might have been doing better exercises from the start.   

Also I think I just didn't believe that I would keep off the weight since I had not dieted and didn't do any of that stuff (count calories, carbs etc)  Just did what the keys showed me.    Well I got off track last year by allowing myself to be lead by a group that wasn't good for me.  It made me put too much empathsis on food and I just stopped losing and in doing so lost patience with myself. 

Now after 10 months I realise that I need to do what I need to for myself.  I lost 15 more pounds and am aiming at the 100 pound point.  I do it 10 pounds at a time, one day at a time.  Hubby along the way also lost 60 and is maintaining it.  Doesn't do intentional exercise but he does ride bike with me sometimes and he works on his feet walking all day.  But our eating habits have changed so much.  And it effects so much more.  Lower food bills, more energy, better overall health for both of us and I know that I can lose the next 50 pounds over the next year.  See I no longer think I have to do it overnight.   

Support is the most important part!!  Good support.  So keep posting. 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 26, 2005, 9:02 am CDT

Dear Sarah

Quote From: lovey77

Hi. I am a 17 year old girl and I currently weigh a little over 300 pounds. I hate it and its a constant weight on my self esteem. I have been overweight all my life and I am bombarded by obesity on both sides of my family. Over the years I have tried excercise and watching what I eat but somehow always linger back to the old way of life. I excersiced for a whole summer and lost about 40 pounds but this habit lead into an eating disorder that I have continued to struggle with. Right now I am at the highest weight I have ever been and long to be thinner. Its so hard to get outside and walk...I have tried that.  I live in Oregon and now its rainy, not fun to walk in. I want to get a gym membership that I know I would use but dont know that I can afford it. Ultimatley my mind goes to gastric bypass which I know isnt totally safe and isnt the way out. I look at it though as something that will help to get to where I want to be. I desperatley want this. I want to lose all this weight and feel like I am alive. In this body right now, I am numb and feel like a zombie at times. I dont know, this is always on my mind. Any comments are helpful! 

Sarah 

Wow what a post coming from such a young girl.  But I can relate, I was always on the heavy side but not obese so figured I could worry about it later in life. I'm happy that you want to do something about it now.    But I'm not so sure surgery is what you really want.    Nor do you need anymore eating disorders. 

Do you have Dr. Phil's Book?  Maybe the Teen's book by his son would be more helpful as I'm sure you still have many teen issues.   You can do this.  Find a support group-online/local or even keep coming here and  posting.   If there is a YMCA in your town-start there.  They offer financial assistance.  Sometimes a doctor's slip will help you in that as well.    At our Y they also have discounted memberships for teens.  Just a couple ideas to get you started. 

Please post how you are doing.  I care. 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 29, 2005, 7:42 am CDT

Hi ckush and inlove

I would suggest that you look for the book and read it if you haven't already.   This works if you are truely ready to put yourself first and do what you need to.   Start slow and do the things in the book.  This is not a diet--as so many of us know Diets don't work.  You may lose but then once they end, the weight comes back and usually brings more with it.  I know-did the diets for 20 years and just kept getting closer to the 300 mark--yikes I would say and find the newest diet fad.  Well lots of time, energy and MONEY gone but I just kept inching back up each time. 

Then I heard Dr. Phil say that diets don't work -duh I knew that.   But that you could lose weight if you knew why you were overweight (for me I was obese)  and why you  stayed that way.  That if you stopped dieting and changed your lifestyle you could get to the weight you should be.   WOW  I thought,  I would try anything.  Afterall nothing else worked and I was ready to do what it took to finally get my good health back.  Ofcourse when I heard all this I was flat on my back in the ICU at the local hospital.   In the first week after getting out of there I got his book, watched the WLC shows and started doing what his book said.   

No I didn't have his staff of nutritionists, trainers or him personally to lead me but I had that book, I could read.  I read on his website, found some online support and eventually a live group as well.  Then Before I knew it I was feeling so much better and the weight was going away.  Now almost 100 pounds less of me is enjoying life with a hubby who is also 60 pounds down with just the changes in our lifestyle.  Never figured this 58 yr old who couldn't walk down the drive without losing her breath, couldn't climb stairs would be riding a bike again.  YEP I bought a bike and rode it all over the campground this summer.     I still have 50 to lose but am in no great hurry as I'm toning and building muscle as I go.  Feeling younger instead of older.  You can do this also. 

Keep posting and find some support!! 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
October 31, 2005, 4:15 pm CST

Hi Linda

Quote From: lmrocher

Hi Char 

Thanks for caring.You make it sound so easy to loose weight.I have about 60kg(130 pounds) to loose and don't know how to get started.Do you have advice? 

Linda 

Ya know, it was easy in some ways.   Working the keys is hard but necessary to lose the weight.  By being easy I mean-no calorie counting, no diet foods, no depriving myself of things I like, no more wondering all day what I can or can't eat.  Yes I had to do that sort of thing at first but then it becomes sort of habit I guess.   And his cookbook is great.  It takes time and you can't just fall back into old habits which can be easy to do.    

Best advice I can offer is find support!!   Find a buddy etc. 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
November 3, 2005, 3:02 pm CST

Hi

Quote From: prettybird

Hello Everyone, 

I am new to this and very depressed.  I have been married for 24 years, 2 adult children (out of the nest) and weigh 250 pounds.  I have been over weight all of my adult life.  I was anorexic when I was a teenager but havn't done that since.  I try to be a happy person for everyone but me.  One of my daughters is fighting bulimia now and is doing better.  I sent my paper work to the insurance in January for the gastric bypass surgery and was denied.  The insurance said I had to go on a 6 month weight and exercise physician supervised program.  Which I did and only lost a few pounds.  I sent my paper work into the insurance again and was denied last week.   Yes, I know what I'm getting into because my sister had it done 2 years ago and has lost about 130 pounds and is off all her meds.   I have seen the good and bad with this surgery and am willing to have it anyway.  Why you ask, because I take 10 pills a day for my health problems.  Yes I have tired every kind of diet over the past 20 years.  I can lose the weight usually but can't seem to keep it off.  If  I had a drug or drinking problem the insurance would help but not a weight problem.  Lately, I've been thinking about when I was a teen and all the weight I loss by just not eating.   I just want to live a long and happy life with my husband and kids.  And maybe someday live long enough to see my grandkids also.  See ya later.  Thanks for listening.  If you have any suggestion please write me. 

Gosh I sure do understand how you feel.  I was there!!!  I was over 250 and in the hospital flat on my back when I first heard Dr. Phil say "diets don't work".    That was 2 years and 97 pounds ago.  Sure some people lose more than that but I lost most of that fairly fast ONCE I STOPPED DIETING AND STARTED THE 7 KEYS.    I do believe I actually scared myself to find out his plan worked.   I did however slack up on things to see if I could maintain the loss.     Also to see if I could do some toning/ firming up since the drastic loss cause things to droop.   I've maintained that loss and now am moving on to lose the other 50 or so I want to so that I will be at what I call my goal.   

I've proved to myself that this is truely a lifestyle change and that I am in control, food no longer controls me.  I've reduced or eliminated my meds.  Have surprised even my MD.   My knees no longer cry out to be replaced,  my asthma is under control with many less meds and overall I feel great.  I've even bought a bike and learned to ride again after probably 30 years.    

Feel free to email me if you would like a support/email buddy.    

Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
November 4, 2005, 7:16 am CST

Hi KattieK

Quote From: kattiek

I can certainly identify with everything you have said.  I think you just told my story.  I weigh 260 lbs and so miserable.  I'm depressed all the time.  I try real hard to be happy around people, but when I am by myself, I have no motivation.  I had the stomach staple surgery in 1985 and was in the hospital for two months, in intensive care for 3 weeks of those two months.  I almost died.  I was very angry because the surgery didn't work for me.  My aunt had the same surgery and lost over 100 lbs and a cousin with excellent success.  Pistolgranny, I am proud of you.   You keep up the good work and congratulations on your weight loss.  I would like to have a support/email buddy.  I am 52 years old and single/divorced.  I don't date because of my weight.  I'm to ashamed.  I don't want to be ashamed of myself.  I would love to feel good about ME!   

e-mail: okayk53@myway.com 

KattieK 

Just a note to let you know I'll be emailing you personally.  Have a good day. 

Char 

User Mood
Excited

Message Emote
blank
November 8, 2005, 10:31 am CST

KattieK---

Quote From: kattiek

I can certainly identify with everything you have said.  I think you just told my story.  I weigh 260 lbs and so miserable.  I'm depressed all the time.  I try real hard to be happy around people, but when I am by myself, I have no motivation.  I had the stomach staple surgery in 1985 and was in the hospital for two months, in intensive care for 3 weeks of those two months.  I almost died.  I was very angry because the surgery didn't work for me.  My aunt had the same surgery and lost over 100 lbs and a cousin with excellent success.  Pistolgranny, I am proud of you.   You keep up the good work and congratulations on your weight loss.  I would like to have a support/email buddy.  I am 52 years old and single/divorced.  I don't date because of my weight.  I'm to ashamed.  I don't want to be ashamed of myself.  I would love to feel good about ME!   

e-mail: okayk53@myway.com 

KattieK 

Please email me.  For some reason your email bounced back.    You can do this and support is the way to go.    

Take care, 

Char 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board