Message Boards

Messages By: jahluvs

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 8:37 am CST

Amen to Shallita

She is right, however she still has more research and studying of the Bible to do if she truly wants to please God.  I don't believe she was being judgmental toward anyone else, just stating what she believes the bible to say. Eph. 5:10, 11: "Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord; and quit sharing with them in the unfruitful works that belong to the darkness, but rather, even be reproving them." Remember, the Bible does say that the wages of sin are death.

The bible tells us not to take part in "traditions of man" or to be making festivals of seasons, etc.

A genuine love for Jehovah [God] and a strong desire to be pleasing to him will help a person break free from unchristian practices that may have had emotional appeal. A person who really knows and loves Jehovah [God] does not feel that by shunning practices that honor false gods or that promote falsehood he is in any way deprived of happiness. Genuine love causes him to rejoice, not over unrighteousness, but with the truth. See 1 Corinthians 13:6. (information taken from Reasoning from the Scriptures)

We don't need traditions of society to dictate to us how or when to be giving or kind. Charity begins at home and occurs on a daily basis as is needed -our neighbors, our friends, our families, and others with whom we come in contact.

As for me, I would much rather put my efforts toward pleasing God rather than man. Man has no power over my eternal life, but God does!

I leave you all with this thought:  The bible tells us that if we continue seeking the truth, it will find us.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 8:50 am CST

I'm guessing "not"

Quote From: hotmomma79

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, i can tell you that we shouldn't be accepting gifts for holiday's.  It makes me sad to think you may have been exposed to some hypocritical people who gave you the wrong idea about the way we believe!  I am also interested to see if this person is one of Jehovah's Witnesses, i guess we'll have to wait and see!
I think she's heading in the direction of truth, but because of something she said, I don't think she is a JW. She said something about burning in hellfire. So, even if she's had some contact with JWs, she has more learning to do.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 9:02 am CST

"Tell is like it is" fell short on this one.

Quote From: elffie

OMG!  Finally, a show that talks about Pagan holidays! LMAO!

Let me just say that, I didn't read anything about this (the info isn't up yet), but if it's Halloween she's talking about, she's right that is a Pagan holiday.  Easter and Christmas has Pagan traditions as well. =)

Should be a very interesting show to watch and I am anxious to see how the Doc "tells it how it is." LOL

In my humble opinion, I think he should've done a bit more research before this one aired.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 9:08 am CST

There is only one day...

Quote From: beleevers

Shelita is right...with just a little research, people will know that many of the holidays the world celebrates (including Christmas and Easter) have pagan origins.  Shelita is not wrong if she chooses not to celebrate these holidays.  Right now, it appears that she would be sinning against her own conscience if she did so.

As a Christian and a serious student of Christ's teachings, however, I believe that as she grows in her faith, she will realize that it is possible to celebrate these things as "holidays", not "holy days".  When each of these holidays comes around, we emphasize to our kids that these are not holy days...and exactly what the issues are with them.  We then conclude by saying, "but it is good that the world recognizes the birth (or the death, burial and ressurection) of Christ at least one day a year."  For us, Easter is about candy and colored eggs only; Christmas is about the spirit of giving, the love of family and presents; Thanksgiving is about family time and good food, etc.  I can not , however, find anything redemptive about Halloween.  I blast this holiday to my kids, but I do let them go to their school's Fall Festival to get some candy--no witch and ghoul costumes, of course!

Not trying to tell you how to raise your kids, Shelita, but balance can be created by distinguishing the difference between "holidays" versus "holy days."  There is scriptural basis for this.

that the bible tells us to remember and that is of Christ's death. He said to remember him in that way. Other traditions, festivals, celebrations are condemned in the bible.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 9:22 am CST

ooops, forgot about one...

Quote From: jahluvs

that the bible tells us to remember and that is of Christ's death. He said to remember him in that way. Other traditions, festivals, celebrations are condemned in the bible.

that is not condemned, and that would be the celebration of marriage.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 9:34 am CST

God said.

Quote From: jadebear

I have a brother who has a belief similar but he is also a lot of fun and celebrates birthdays with gifts always. But Geez, you make me want to go out and rent "Bad Santa" again!!. It has no redeeming social value whatsoever, but  my sister and I laughed so hard when we watched it last  X-mas visit from her. ( the unrated version) :>)  Who decided God doesn't like celebration and fun? I know there are varied degrees of strictness in religion and we need to respect those who are different.  Maybe God works thru people to share their talents and possessions                with others and not be scrooges and stingy either. People can be unloving by not having fun too.
The Bible, in my belief, is the Word of God. So it goes to say that God has said so. But that doesn't mean we aren't to have fun -just a different sort of fun than what secular society deems as "fun".

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 10:07 am CST

Try this

Quote From: londin

Hi everybody.This is my first day on here . i'm struggling with  many things in my life that im not sure how to address. To give you an idea i dont know where i fit in any where??im trying so many positive things from reading the bible,self-help books,yoga,excercise,you name it i probably tried it.Can anyone point me in the right direction please??????????? 

Stick with the Bible. It is our "owner's manual" and our "how-to" book for life. If you keep searching, you will find it. If you need help understanding try the website www.christiantrumpetsounding.com

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
hopeful
November 1, 2006, 11:51 am CST

holidays

Over 16 years ago I was attending a Free Methodist church. One of my fellow church-goers gave me a taped interview that began to enlighten me -and frighten me a bit as well. This interview was with a former priest of a Satanic church (Mike Warnke).He spoke of the origins of the holidays, but what I paid most attention to was that of Halloween. He told of how he had knowledge that certain groups prayed for the "souls" of those out celebrating Halloween; trick-or-treating and the like. I decided right then and there that there was no way that I would ever send my children out trick-or-treating or let them be anyway subjected to such things. That was my decision for my children and my way of protecting them from "unseen forces". Whether you believe in "ghosts" (or spirits) or  not, doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm no longer attending that church, but I have since moved on in my research and studies of the Bible. I have been studying the truth of the Bible now (off and on) for over 13 years. I must say that things that used to scare me no longer do -such as graveyards and "scary" movies. I'm not afraid of death, the dying process makes me a bit nervous, but not death itself. I'm more concerned about living! Knowledge is powerful and the fear comes from the unkown. Enlightenment is a real release.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 12:23 pm CST

Scott and Kelly

Quote From: ramair

I only caught a snippet of today's show, when Scott and Kelly were on. And, she was complaining about his off-color sense of humor. I noted, from one of Dr Phil's questions, and Kelly's reply, that Scott was already this way when she married him. Did it not bother her back then? Did she find it amusing and entertaining? Cute, even? Did she not know that what's amusing, or just  a slight annoyance, when dating can become, after a few years of marraige, almost a deal breaker. And, has Donna been sending Scott mixed messages about this? Complaining about it on one hand. And going to nudist events, on the other. Seems to me, a woman doesn't want her husband talking about their sex life wouldn't be going naked in front of others.

She knew what he was like, but said that since they bought the bar, he's been "worse". I think that the nudist thing was his idea and she just went along. I guess the nudist resort they go to is one of those "clothing optional" places.

User Mood
Silly

Message Emote
blank
November 1, 2006, 12:55 pm CST

My choices

I've had similar probelms (as Shelita) with my family. I have been verbally bashed for not celebrating holidays and birthdays as well.

My mom views it this way: It depends on how you celebrate it. People don't look at it that way. I don't celebrate in a pagan way. It's for fellowship, fun, sharing, giving....

I try to explain to her my perspective: It's not how people view it, it's how God views it. Just because something is "acceptable" to society doesn't mean it is to God.

I am very tolerant of others' views and lifestyles. Just because I "tolerate" it doesn't mean I agree with it. I dont'  judge anyone else since that is not my place. I have some knowledge of what the Bible says and what does and does not  please God. I enjoy sharing what I know, but this doesn't mean I am judging them. I really think this is what Shelita was trying to do. I don't believe she was judging anyone -just stating what SHE believes. I try to avoid this misunderstanding by stating "the Bible says" so that people realize this is from the written Word of God, not my own opinion.

As for people thinking that if you don't celebrate holidays you have no fun, that's simply not true. Gift giving is from the heart, not because some say it's that time of year. I give gifts to people whenever the feeling comes. To me, it is more meaningful and sincere. I have had to tell people not to buy me "Christmas" presents, birthday presents, etc. and it is really hard for them to understand. Some call me a scrooge. That's their opinion, they are entitled to it, but my interest is in pleasing God, not "going along" with the crowd just to "keep the peace".

I commend Shelita for speaking out. It is really hard to put yourself out there and be that vulnerable. I hope she continues to learn, apply what she learns, and share what she learns. At the very least it opens the door for discussion.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board