Message Boards

Messages By: silverkatt

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 6:58 am CDT

The miracle of Gastric Bypass

I am the very happy success story for gastric bypass and finally I can show you what it did for me.  It was March 30, 2001 and I weighed 260 pounds.  I was so ready to do this surgery that I would have done it with a 25% SURVIVAL chance.  A year later I was 120 pounds lighter, had stopped all high blood pressure medicine and my blood work and blood pressure were incredible.  I am 50 years old and married the most wonderful man on earth 3 years ago.  Thirty years of obesity and trying and failing at every diet imaginable brought me to this solution. May I suggest that if you consider it that when you look for a doctor, you find out how many patients he has lost.  The last time I checked my doctor who has been performing this surgery for at least 5 or 6 years has had NO DEATHS.  It's like anything else in life...check out their qualifications and their successes.  

I attended a seminar about a year ago with men and women in all stages of pre-op and post-op and there were a couple of guys that had lost 300 and 400 pounds!  I met a wonderful woman that had lost 238.  It was an incredible weekend.  I volunteer my time on a website hoping to guide others that are researching this surgery through their journey.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 5:28 pm CDT

putting pix in

Quote From: b_sanders

How did you get your before and after pics on here. I tried to do that but it didn't work.

Bobbie :)

Bobbie, when you reply to the message, there's an icon (button) that looks like a moon and a mountain (the farthest right).  Click on that and then go to browse and find your file.  I hope that helps.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 5:41 pm CDT

I only tell you what I've done

Quote From: toobignow

Hi I'm a 39 year oldno really!!mother of 3 young girls,whom I love more than life itself.With that being said,how come I'm so out of shape? I'm 4"11 and I weigh 170lbs which I beleive is considered obese.I'm so tired of being fat.I have an underactive thyroid which I was told could be preventing me from losing weight,but I don't know.

I lost my MOM at 57 to C.O.P.Dlung disorder she was my world and I didn't think I could carry on without her or be a good mother.I knew I had to for my childrens sake.When I finally got to the point that I could function without thinking about her every waking moment,I relized how much weight I put on.How,I don't know because I hardly ever ate,but when I did I guess I made bad choices.So I joined Weight watchers and Curves,but after a year with WW I stopped going to meetings because I would lose 4lbs then put on 5.So I bought Dr.Phil's weight loss solution book and was about to start it when to my horror..my DAD died of a heart attack in his house on july 2nd.Well that's when we found him,he was gone 3 days prior to that.This was a young 61 year old man who took good care of himself,he didn't have a heart condition.We just had a bbq and he just went fishing with his brother,he was the picture of health,he was a diabetic but he had that under control.I just don't get it.Sorry for going on.

I got thinking that if I die at the age my parents did then I only have about 20 years left.I want to be there for my children,I don't want them to see me fat anymore,because I'm tired and sore all the time.It breaks my heart to see the sadness in their eyes when I don't play with them.The weather has been in the high 30's here in Canada and I won't wear shorts.I stand on the beach fully clothed and watch my children and husband play,because I won't be caught dead in a bathing suit.I'm missing out on my kids life and I don't want to anymore because they are all I've got.I want them to have fond memories of me.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone tried Dr.Phil's diet?Do you like it?Better yet...Does it work?I guess anything will work if you put your mind to it.Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanking for listening,it was nice to get somethings off my chest.

Good luck to everyone who's fighting the battle of the bulge.

My heart goes out to you.  My mother died in 2000 and I did the exact same thing.  Just before she died she told me she wanted me to love myself and at that time, it was impossible.  I published a story in a magazine about my obesity and losing my mom and I'd love to post a link to it but I don't think they allow it.

I just know that after 30 years of obesity and trying every diet known to man, the surgery was all that was left for me.  My entire family was large and when you're 120 lbs overweight it was very difficult for me to exercise but some people are able to do it. The problem with losing such a huge amount of weight is really hard.  I'm not saying it's easy for alcoholics and drug addicts but at least when they stop, they get immediate results.  We HAVE to eat.  If you told an alcoholic that they had to drink one drink a day, it would not work.  We HAVE to eat.  We also have to face the fact that our results are going to take a while.  It's no easy task but I think Dr. Phil's book would be worth a try.  I don't know if you want to consider the surgery but if you do, I'd be happy to answer any questions or direct you to a place that will.  I hope you will find what you are looking for.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 26, 2005, 6:34 am CDT

Please get help

Quote From: omachris

I am depressed all the time about my weight and just life in general. Can't seem to even understand the the weight loss challenge book, so I am in desperate need of help. I have been so lonely in this battle, and have had many thoughts of ending my life. Please help me.Omachris
My group can be found by searching the web for Obesity Help.  We have over 200,000 members in varying stages of obesity and most are researching the various types of obesity surgery.  You sound to me as if you are not yet ready to go to this step because it is best to have your other issues worked out before you consider this.  You might want to check some of the other forums on Dr. Phil to see if there is information to get you some help.  My heart goes out to you...I was there and didn't want to live especially after I lost my mom.  I know there's a solution for you and I so want you to find it.  I am not a therapist and can only share my experience.  If you wish to post on Obesity Help, you will find many sympathetic ears that will try to help you work through your feelings.  The message boards are separated by states. 

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 28, 2005, 1:31 am CDT

Yes I had some plastic surgery

Quote From: agarrido83

Did you have to get a tummy tuck or anything from losing weight so quickly? Did you have any problems with your skin hanging or anything?

It's so funny when you said losing weight quickly, I was thinking it seemed like it took a while to me? :)

Yes I had a tummy tuck but I was a newlywed and the opportunity presented itself.  I always tell many woman that tight jeans and a good bra can do wonders.  We were wizards of disguise and after I spent years covering up my obesity with clothes, a little loose skin was nothing!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board