Message Boards

Messages By: just_a_mom

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
July 24, 2005, 8:18 pm CDT

Things That Worked For Us

I don't give in - people call me a hard ass but I believe that is how it needs to be in order to keep a happy house.  I have 2 teenage daughters and one pre-teen and I have been a single mom for the last 9 years and not giving in to their every little whine or what has worked for me.  When my girls were little I would count to 3 and by the time I got to 3 they new that if they hadn't done what was asked of them they were going to get in trouble.  I also used to put all of their stuff in the middle of the living room floor(this is stuff that they were told to put away- toys, clothes, books, etc.) I would than set a timer for about 5 minutes and they were told that if they didn't get there stuff picked up that I would throw them in the garbage.  I would have a large black garbage bag sitting on the counter.  I only had to put the stuff in the bag one time(I never really took to the garbage) and they got the hint that the next time there stuff was in the middle of the living room floor they better hurry up and get it picked up.  The one time I put there stuff in the bag I took the bag and put in a closet with every intention of giving it back, I forgot about it and found it 6 months later.  When I gave the stuff back to my girls they were very excited.  I believe that kids want and need rules, and having the rules makes them grow up to be better people.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board