Message Boards

Messages By: tigger6367

Message Emote
blank
July 24, 2005, 3:38 pm CDT

Here's some information for you Amanda....

My name is Amanda I was born In November 1977, for some reason my parents couldn't keep me so they put me up for adoption when I was 6 months old I was adopted my parents now are wonderful growing up I put them through alot but now that I am married and have children i see that it was hard. I did look for them but since the year that I was born and the state I have to go through the Michigan court to locate them like i said i started then I started back up again so one day soon I will have the chance to find them.

I always wonder if they are still alive and If they think about me, I thank god that they put me up so I could have a wonderful life but I still wonder.

Just wanted to share my story because I know that there are other people out there like me.

Amanda

I have been a search angel for adoption related searches for over 18 years and thought you might like this information to assist you in your search. 

Hugs to you and yours!

Cheryl

MICHIGAN

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults, direct descendants of a deceased adopted adult, adoptive parents, birth parents, and birth siblings may obtain non-identifying information.

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults can receive information through the State registry on the birth parents and birth siblings. Birth parents and birth siblings can receive the adopted adult's information, if the adopted adult provided written consent through the agency that completed the adoption and the court that finalized the adoption.

Using a Confidential Intermediary: Confidential intermediaries are provided through the court for adopted adults, birth parents, birth grandparents, birth siblings, adoptive parents of a minor adoptee, and descendants of a deceased adopted adult.

Using the Adoption Registry: If parental rights were terminated prior to May 28, 1945, or after September 12, 1980, and there is no parental statement of denial found in the registry, the adopted adult can receive information on the birth parents and Birth Siblings. If parental rights were terminated after May 28, 1945, but before September 12, 1980, the information will be released if the birth parents or birth siblings have filed consent through the registry.

Michigan Family Independence Agency
Adoption Services Division
PO Box 30037
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 373-3513

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: If parental rights were terminated prior to May 28, 1945, or after September 12, 1980, an adopted adult may receive a copy of the original birth certificate if there is no denial statement on file. If parental rights were terminated between May 28, 1945 and September 12, 1980, an adopted adult must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized.

Contact: An adopted adult's adoption record is usually held in the Family Division of Circuit Court (formerly the probate court) closest to the adoptive parents. The court should be able to provide the name of the agency that handled the adoption. Adopted adults may contact the Department of Community Health, Customer Services Section, 3423 North Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., PO Box 30195, Lansing, MI, 48909 to request the name of the court that finalized the adoption.

Message Emote
blank
July 24, 2005, 3:43 pm CDT

Here's the state info for you in Louisiana...

To start, I'm 31...never married and no children. I was adopted in La. out of Lafayette when I was 12 days old. My parents couldn't have any, and luckily received a call weeks before my dad hit the cut off on the age limit. Growing up things were great, they kept me busy and involved in everything my mom could possibly fit in my schedule. I grew up an only child, but was always surrounded with family and friends. My parents have always told me from before I could remember that I was an adopted child, but a very special one. They have always told me that if I ever wanted to pursue seeking out my biological parents, that would not hurt them at all. My mom is very confident in the fact that she raised me and that THEY are MY parents-she just gave birth.In fact my mom told me years ago she thinks she received papers from the government, that were suppose to go to the adoption agency. Itcontained the last name of my birth mom... I have much curiousity in the fact that 2 people on this earth created me and I have no idea what they look like. Now that I'm older, I see the medical issues that my parents deal with (including alzheimer's and heart disease) and I'm worried that I may need to know something in my family history that I can prevent. I guess my question is to see if anyone else has been in this situation or has been successful in searching??
-izabella74
LOUISIANA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Non-identifying information is available to adoptive parents upon placement of a child.

Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through an Adoption Registry.

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 21 or older, birth parents, and birth siblings may use the registry. One hour of counseling is required.

Louisiana Adoption Registry
PO Box 3318
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
(504) 342-9922
(800) 259-2456

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized.

(National Adoption Information Clearinghouse.)

Message Emote
blank
August 14, 2005, 6:12 pm CDT

Wisconsin

Quote From: rmarie26

Hi I live in Wisconsin and adopted a girl from the Wisconsin State Building in Milwaukee... The child was born in Lake Geneva Lakeland Hospital on 6/9/71 at 5:17 a.m. The name we have for the biological parent at that time was "KOPAK" the name that was given to my daughter by the women was 'JENNIFER" we changed it to Machelle....She now has 2 children, a girl 12yrs. and a boy 7yrs....We are mainly interested in any health reports we could get...I remember the case worker mentioning something that the girl had Asthma, and was I think 16yrs. old... We do not know anything about the biological father, he also was very young... The biological parent was adopted into a family also so it is really a puzzle to try and find out anything... She supposedly is German and Italian, we don't know if the family that adopted her was this nationality or she was when they adopted her... We would very much like it if someone could solve this case of the biological parent with a maiden name of "KOPAK"

The e-mail address that you can send any information to is... rmarie@charter.net

WISCONSIN

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older, adoptive parents or a legal guardian, and an adopted adult's children age 18 or older may obtain non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 21 or older may receive information on birth parents if consent is on file. Adoptive parents of an adopted adult under 21 may receive information on birth parents if the birth parents have filed their consent. Birth parents may receive information regarding the adoptive parents of an adopted adult under 21, if the adoptive parents has filed consent.  

Using a Confidential Intermediary: Adopted adults age 21 or older may request a search for birth parents to obtain consent for release of identifying information if no consent is on file. 

Adoption Records Search Program
PO Box 8916
Madison, WI 53708-8916
(608) 266-7163
http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/Children/adoption/adsearch.htm 

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adopted adult age 21 or older may receive the original if the birth parents have filed consent. 

http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/children/adoption/adsearch.htm 

http://lists.topica.com/lists/WisconsinAdoptionSearch 

http://www.helplinedatabase.com/hospital-us/wisconsin.html  ( these people have your birth records and you are entitled to them!) 

Best of luck to you!! 

Cheryl 

Message Emote
blank
August 14, 2005, 6:29 pm CDT

Indiana

Quote From: jestam4

I am currently looking for my brother whom my mother gave up as soon as he was born (4/25/76). He was born in Indiana. Their adoption records are closed and it has been very hard to get information. I have gotten the Non-Identifying Information on him. They say they cant give me the Identifying Information without attorney representation.  How do you find an attorney who does this and what does it cost??  I would love to find him. Just to meet him once and talk to him would be AWESOME!!!  I was 3 when he was born.  My mom didnt have to give him up.  She wasnt even raising me, my grandmother was and did.  I feel like I have to pay the price for what my mother did.  I understand using the choice of adoption for many reasons but when you use it as a means to run, shrug off your responsibilities, and revenge---that I dont understand. It affects a lot of people in certain circumstances.  There doesnt seem to be a lot of support or information for siblings who are searching for other siblings.  Just thought I would share a little of my story.  Good Luck and GOD Bless to everyone out there searching.   Tammy
INDIANA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults, birth parents, and adoptive parents may obtain non-identifying information.  

Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through an Adoption Registry. 

Using a Confidential Intermediary: This service is provided through the registry. 

Using the Adoption Registry: For adoptions finalized before December 31, 1993, birth parents or adopted adults can request identifying information, which will be released only if consent is given from the party who is the subject of the request. If consent is not already on file, a confidential intermediary may be appointed. For adoptions finalized after December 31, 1993, adopted adults age 21 or older will receive identifying information on the birth parents if the birth parents have not filed an affidavit requesting non-disclosure at the time the adopted adult request is made. Adopted adults age 21 or older, adoptive parents of a minor, and birth siblings age 21 or older can request identifying information, which will be released if consent is given from the party who is the subject of the request. If no consent is on file, the State registrar will search for other birth siblings if they are 21 or older to see if they consent. 

Indiana Adoption History Registry
Attn: Registrar, Vital Records Division
PO Box 1964
Indianapolis, IN 46206
(317) 383-6280 

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized to receive. 

Providing Information: Medical, non-identifying, and identifying information can be provided by adopted adults, birth parents, adoptive parents, birth siblings, and, under certain circumstances, the spouse or a relative of a deceased adopted adult or a deceased birth parent. 

(National Adoption Information Clearinghouse) 

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/country/9577/ 

http://www.aci.net/schaefer/page60.html 

Also, is that your posting on the www.registry.adoption.com for your sibling?  Have you checked into the other person listed on the registry there named Edward?  He was born only an hour away from your sibling.  Just thought I would point that out in case you were unaware. 

Best of luck to you!!
Cheryl 

Message Emote
blank
October 5, 2005, 12:26 am CDT

Alberta, Canada Search Inof

Quote From: 062979

Hi to everyone.  

I am a 26 year old woman.  I was born in Calgary, AB Canada.  June 29 1979 in the General Hospital.  My name at birth was Sandra Campbell.  I just recently found out that both my siter and I were adopted at birth.  I was adopted a month after I was born!!! WOW what a shocker that was, I must say. Also its said that my sister and I came from different families..yet another shocker to add to the story!!!  Im still having a bit of a hard time coping with the whole thing.  My parents never ever mentioned a thing about us being adopted ever.  It was some other family members of ours that told us about a year ago.  I still have not talked with my parents about this yet.  I really dont know how to go about all of this.  I dont ever want to hurt them, they have did a great job of rasing us and caring for us. I have recieved a bit of information on my adoption and on my birth parents.  I would love to find them and maybe eventually meet in the future.  

As of November 1, 2004 Adoptees ( age 18 years and older ) and their parents who surrendered are able to obtain identifying information on one another unless a contact veto is in place. 

Upon age 18 Adoptees can request information on their natural parents. Parents who have surrendered may only request information once the adopted adult is 6 months past their 18th birthday. This gives the adoptee time to consider their search.  

Identifying information may consist of names, addresses and/or dates of birth as they appear on the original records. Non identifying information will also be released, which may consist of apperances, and medical history.  

For more information go to www.gov.ab.ca/adoptionrecords or call 310-4455

http://www.originscanada.org/ 

Origins Canada is a support and advocacy group for people separated from family members by adoption, including natural mothers ( first mothers, exiled mothers ) and fathers, natural relatives, and adopted persons. We are calling for justice and an inquiry into illegal and unethical adoption practices in Canada: practices which violated our basic human rights.  

http://www.moriartey.ca/jim/ 

http://www.geocities.com/familytiescanada/index.html 

The Creator of the original Family Ties, KC has found a wonderful Canadian Adoptee willing to seek out helpful information to assist other Canadian searchers. While Karen gets the information, I will provide the web site work.. Together we hope to offer searching adoptees and natural parents a wide range of assistance both in the United States and Canada 

http://www.canadianadopteesregistry.org/index.html 

http://www.cyndislist.com/gencan.htm 

Forget Me Not Society - 604-541-2512 E-mail: katosan@telus.net Works to promote knowledge, understanding, and healing around the lifelong process of adoption. Provides individual and group support for birth parents, adoptees, and adoptive parents; and educational programs for anyone interested in adoption and reunion issues. Holds monthly support groups. Publishes the newsletter 'Adoption Circles' 

Best of luck to you in your search!! 

Message Emote
blank
October 5, 2005, 12:35 am CDT

Tennessee

Quote From: connier

My name is Connie and I'm now 42.  I've known my entire life that I was adopted, but never gave it much thought.  I had wonderful parents.  They are now gone and I find myself wondering if I should try and locate my birth famiy.  My adoption took place in TN.  I've been told that my records should be easy to access, but I am not sure.

I also don't know that I want to actually meet them.  I would really like to have medical information.  Do I have to meet them to obtain medical information or could the state act as an intermediary and get the info for me?

Thanks for any help.

Connie
TENNESSEE

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older, adoptive parents, stepparents or legal parents of an adopted adult, birth parents, birth siblings, and direct descendants of adopted adults may obtain non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: If an adoption was finalized before March 16, 1951, adopted adults age 21 or older, birth parents, adoptive parents, stepparents or legal parents, and birth siblings age 21 or older can receive a copy of the adoption records, which includes the original birth certificate. If an adoption was finalized after March 16, 1951, adopted adults age 21 or older, birth parents, adoptive parents, step or legal parents, birth siblings age 21 or older can receive a copy of the adoption records, which includes the original birth certificate. They shall not contact or attempt to contact in any manner any of the persons eligible to file a contact veto. A Contact Veto Registry has been established by the Department of Children's Services for the purpose of permitting registration of the willingness or unwillingness for contact with persons who seek contact with them. All parties must go through this registry before contacting the subject of the search. 

Department of Children's Services
Post Adoption Unit
436 6th Avenue, NW
8th Floor, Cordell Hull Building
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-1290
(615)532-5637
http://www.state.tn.us/youth/adoption/accessto.htm 

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: See provisions above under Obtaining Identifying Information. 

National Adoption Information Clearinghouse 

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/9073/openrecords.html 

Best of luck to you!! 

Message Emote
blank
October 5, 2005, 12:42 am CDT

North Carolina

Quote From: teejay77

Are there any NC search angels out there?  I was adopted by wonderful adoptive parents in North Carolina, but my "identity" has always puzzled me.  I was always felt odd when I was with extended family since they all resembled each other and I was the odd one out.  Now I've had a child who looks like me, and it's just amazing!  I'm on a number of registries online, but I'm skeptical of course.  I don't really know where to begin with finding my birth parents without making my adoptive parents feel less than great parents.  I don't have much information to go by except my date of birth and possibly my foster mother's name.  Any suggestions???
NORTH CAROLINA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 21 or older, adoptive parents, or legal guardians may obtain non-identifying information. Birth parents or birth relative(s) may submit information about a health or genetic condition that may affect the adopted adult, and the appropriate employee shall make an effort to contact the adopted adult age 18 or older or the adoptive parents of an adoptee under 18. If the name of the agency involved in the adoption is unknown, parties can contact the North Carolina State Division of Social Services, 325 North Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC, 27603 to obtain the name of the agency. 

In order to obtain identifying information or a copy of the original birth certificate, a person must petition the courts, and be approved. 

http://www.aci.net/schaefer/page96.html 

Best of luck to you!! 

Message Emote
blank
October 5, 2005, 12:55 am CDT

Missouri

Quote From: malpal1127

My name is Mallory. I live with my parents, Margret and Steve.  I am 19 years old. I was told i was adopted when i was little. Ever since then I've wondered about my family. This year when I turned 19 I was told I had two sisters by the names od Chrissy and Barbie.  My reaction was to start crying.  

I don't know what to think when it comes to my biological family. My parents told me that Lisa, my biological mother, was very abusive to me and my sisters when we lived with her. So naturally the feelings that come when the subject is on her aren't the greatest. But there are times when i find myself thinking of her and wanting to hear the whole story striaght from Lisa.   

There are times when I want so bad to find my biological familey that I would do anything.  The only thing stopping me is that i don't have a clue as to how to find them.  I don't have any last names. All I know is that my parents adopted me through Charter... in Saint Louis.  

I don't really feel comfortable asking my parents about my biological family because i feel like it upsets them. And I don't mean to because I'm greatful for where I am today and I love them very much... b ut at the same time I would like to meet Lisa and my sisters, Chrissy and Barbie.  

If anyone has any information as to hwo I could find them... please let me know. 

Mallory 

MISSOURI

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adoptive parents and adopted adults may obtain non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: An adopted adult can request information regarding the birth parents and the agency will contact the birth parents for consent to release the information. If the adoption was finalized prior to August 13, 1986, the adoptive parents must be notified first, and a search will only be conducted if the adoptive parents agree. If the adoptive parents do not consent, no information will be released and the birth parents will not be contacted.  

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 21 or older and birth parents may register. Adoptive parents must consent to the release of identifying information on adoptions completed prior to August 13, 1986. 

Missouri Division of Family Services
Adoption Information Registry
P.O. Box 88
Jefferson City, MO 65103
(800) 554-2222
http://www.dss.state.mo.us/dfs/adoir.htm
Please mark the letter "Confidential." 

You must petition the court where the adoption was finalized, and be approved,  in order to obtain a copy of the original birth certificate. 

Best of luck to you!! 

Message Emote
blank
October 5, 2005, 1:06 am CDT

California

Quote From: mercedes

It's me again..I would like to share more information that  I miss in my previous post. My husband was born in San Francisco, Ca. at the San Francis Memorial Hospital in May 04, 1967, His biological mother was 16 at the time of birth,  her last name is Ely and she was from Massachussets, his biolgical father was 18 and last name is Alvarez.  My husband was adopted together with another babygirl, they were told that they were twins, but they are no blood related, she was born in June.  

I have heard that are people called ANGELS who help adoptees to find their relatives....Does anyone could advise me in how to find a reliable source to search for my husband family?...How do I find and ANGEL?...I wish to help my husband to meet his bmother some day. Thank you Dr. Phil. 

CALIFORNIA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older and adoptive parents of adoptees younger than 18 may request non-identifying information from the adoption agency or from the government department that joined in the adoption petition. If the request is denied, the party seeking information may petition the court in which the adoption was finalized. Parents who have surrendered can receive information on the status of the adoption and the adoptive parents at time of placement. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: If the adoption was finalized on or after January 1, 1984, the adopted adult age 18 or older can receive information on the parents who surrendered if they have given written consent to the disclosure. Parents who have surrendered can receive information on an adopted adult age 21 or older if the adopted adult has given written consent to disclosure. Disclosures are filed with the adoption agency or the government agency that joined in the adoption petition. Adoptive parents of a person younger than 21 can receive information on the parents who surrendered if there is a medical necessity or other extraordinary circumstances that justify the disclosure according to the State Department of Social Services or licensed adoption agency. If the adoption was finalized before January 1, 1984, with consent of both requesting parties, the agency shall arrange contact between the biological parents and adopted adult. The agency shall release the names and addresses of birth siblings age 21 or older to one another if the birth siblings have filed consent. 

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 18 or older and parents who have surrendered an adopted adult may register. Siblings age 21 or older may register to meet a sibling 21 or older who was adopted.  

California Department of Social Services
Adoption Branch
744 P Street, MS 19-31
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 322-3778
http://www.childsworld.ca.gov 

Providing Information: The Department or licensed agency shall release any letters, photographs, or other items of personal property in its possession to an adopted adult age 18 or older, parents who surrendered, or adoptive parents of an adoptee under 18 upon written request. Identifying information will be deleted.  

One must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized to obtain a copy of the original birth certificate. 

http://www.geocities.com/californiaadoptees/index.htm 

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/9606/states/CAopen.html 

http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/9606/states/california.html 

Best of luck to you!! 

Message Emote
blank
October 5, 2005, 1:20 am CDT

Illinois

Quote From: scrapbearz

Hello!  

I am currently starting a search with the Children's Home and Aid Society of Illinois for my biological parents.  I was told about my adoption when I was in 2nd grade.  I've been wondering about my biological parents for many years now (I am currently 34 years old).  I've finally gotten the courage up to search for them.  I do not know whatwho I will find but I would like to know where I came from.  Here is the information I currently have:  

Born: 01-24-1971  

Hospital: St. Luke's in Chicago  

Birth Name: Biological Mother wanted to name me Norma Christine.  I have not seen my original    

birth certificate so I do not know what is on there.  

If you know of anyone who can help, I would greatly apprciate it.  

Wendy  

ILLINOIS

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: For private adoptions, an adopted adult may obtain non-identifying information. For adoptions facilitated through the State Department of Child and Family Services, adopted adults, birth parents, and adoptive parents may receive non-identifying information. 

Using a confidential intermediary: Adopted adults 18 or older and adoptive parents of an adoptee younger than 18 may use the confidential intermediary service. 

Confidential Intermediary Service
3158 Des Plaines River Road
Suite 120
Des Plaines, IL 60018
(847) 298-9096; (847) 298-9097
(847) 298-9097 (fax) 

Using the Adoption Registry: Birth parents, adopted adults 21 or older, adopted adults younger than 21 with the consent of their adoptive parents, and birth siblings 21 or older may use the registry. Adoptive parents, adopted adults, birth parents, and birth siblings may exchange updated medical information throughout the life of the adopted adult. The registry also may act as an intermediary if either party does not want to be contacted. All parties also may exchange pictures and written statements through the registry. 

Illinois Adoption Registry and Medical Information Exchange (IARMIE)
Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62761
(217) 557-5159 or toll-free in Illinois (877) 323-5299
http://www.idph.state.il.us/vital/iladoptreg.htm 

The original birth certificate may be obtained through the registry or by petitioning the court in which the adoption was finalized, and being approved to receive it. 

***IMPORTANT PLEASE READ*** 

As of Jan 1, 2004 not only will adult adopted persons, and adopted parents on behalf of minor adopted children, be able to petition the court, but also adult children of a deceased adopted person, adult siblings of a adopted person if the birthparent is deceased , birth parents, and adult siblings of a deceased birth parent (otherwise aunts & uncles of the adopted person). All of these people will now be able to register with the Illinois Adoption Registry for a match or will be able to petition the court for appointment of a CI. As of July 2003 there is no longer a court petition fee but the service still remains. And Judges no longer can deny a petition as it is part of the law.  

http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/adoptioninfo.htm 

http://www.aborn.faithweb.com/State/Answered/Illinois/AbornsILData.html 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QuadStatesLostAngelsInAdoption/ 

Best of luck to you!! 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board