Message Boards

Messages By:

July 25, 2005, 8:08 am CDT

Me too

Hello; I am new here and this topic is of interest to me since I live with chronic pain on a daily basis. You see, I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis (NOT AN OLD PERSONS DISEASE). Although I am 58 years young, (diagnosed 3 years ago) some days I feel like 100. I have never heard of any discussions on chronic pain, specifically RA on any talk shows (perhaps I missed it) but it is one of the most misunderstood diseases. When you are diagnosed with severe RA, you are unable to work at a full-time job (Iworked fornearly 40 years before being diagnosed)and most times, part-time is out of the question too. You then become a person who is 'invisible' to most friends and some family members. They either don't believe you are in pain all of the time, or they don't know what to say. It's like you have gone off the radar screen or something; it changes your life forever and it is a real shock when you find out just how others perceive you and your disability. Not many of your friends or family visit anymore; no phone calls to see how you are doing or coping or if you might need some help or maybe perhaps a meal brought in when it's too tough to stand for very long and cook the family a meal. My husband is great at doing housework each day after working a full day at his place of employment. An 18 year old son does understand to some extent but still looks for that 'ride' to his friends or the show when all you want to do is scream in pain because your feet are too sore to stand on. I just smile (grin) and bear it and put on a good front most of the time. Maybe that's my problem, I need to grimace and be more vociferous when my pain is almost unbearable. There isn't even an Emote to describe 'pain' let alone 'severe pain'. Oh well, I have a good outlook now after three years to appreciate the smaller things in life as they turn out to be the most important things. Just a smile from a stranger, sitting and talking to my little puppy, or waiting for my husband to come home, or just sitting on my porch enjoying the sunshine and my beautiful flowers (my husband planted them for me). God is good and I do not take anything for granted (most of the time :)). Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and hope to hear from others who are living with chronic severe pain as I'm sure I'm not alone (although it feels like it sometimes)

Blessings to all.

I am 55 and just (2 months ago) diagnosed with Scoriatic Arthritis.  I get some of the same responses.  My husband just can't believe that I am in pain almost constantly or that the medications make me sick/dizzy.  The RA doctor seems to think I've had this for years and that it was just misdiagnosed.  In the meantime, I'm dealing with severe depression.  I'll send you my prayers and thanks for writing about constant pain.

Sandy

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board