Message Boards

Messages By: tammyo1973

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
ecstatic
July 22, 2005, 7:45 pm CDT

HEY HEY HEY!!

Not sure about this... BUT wanted to say welcome back and WOOHOO... I was having withdrawls ;)

Hopefully tomorrow will be busy and we can all get to know each other again.

For now I think we need to re-do our BIO's like EM asked us to do a while back...

MINE:

Tammy, 31 mom of 2

14 yr old daughter, Emily bp, ptsd, gad. Is ok but wondering if she is cycling into depression, she is having a lot of psychotic symptoms or just not use to being alone. We will call pdoc monday and ask.

3 yr old daughter, Logan, who is normal but today was going 100 miles a minute. She scares me because I over annalyze everything she does.

My hubby is wonderful works all the time so I don't :)

My bestfriends are theones I have made here.

Love ya'll

Talk tomorrow

Lots of hugs and love TaM

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
chillin'
July 22, 2005, 7:53 pm CDT

I exercise

When my daughter was having a rough time with her bipolar, I realized I was stressing out but not doing anything for myself. I started exercising and have found it wonderful for both my health but I can pound away the thoughts while running or doing weight training. Also yoga is great. I cannot do all the funky poses BUT I do what I can and it is wonderful. When in a stressful situation we need to take time for ourselves.

Tammy

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 23, 2005, 11:27 am CDT

mom of bipolar daughter

Although my daughter is not been diagnosed with adhd or asperger's, bipolar is often present with other mood disorders. I feel your pain with school. I tried for months to get my daughter an IEP and kept being told no when "problems at home settle down she will" Just a side note, we were not having home problems other than her coming home from school and raging on me for hours at a time. It is that bad kid bad parent mentality of society that bugs me.

Anyhow in 01-05 she threw herself down 16 of my stairs because she couldn't handle school. She tried so hard to fit in and be accepted that it was mentally draining her. Once she was admitted to the phos I called the school and told them what happened and then requested an IEP again. This time they listened. ALthough she went on homebound through the school district for 3 months, she did go back to school half day. It was the best part of school for her. She just doesn't have the emotional or mental maturity to handle more than 3 hours in a school setting. THere is social phobia, school phobia, perfectionism, etc all working against her. I am sending her to high school this September and I am so scared, but now I have the IEP, I have the symptoms of a breakdown and I will not let anyone bully me into thinking I am a bad mother. If I see the signs she is going back to half day ASAP! :)

I didn't really have a question or anything just wanted everyone to know my story and I feel for you. Kudos to those who can homeschool, I thought about it but cannot even do homework with her so we will keep her in the public schools but do have the option of a doctors half day and a homebound teacher.

Have a sunny day

Tam

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 23, 2005, 11:39 am CDT

I agree with the counting however...

I do not think a child should have time out in their bedroom. THeir bedroom is their safe place not a punishment place. I chose to have a naughty or timeout chair and when I get to the number 3 my daughter sits in the chair for 3 minutes (1 minute per year of life) She is to sit there and when the three minutes are up I go sit down at her level and explain to her what she did and why it is not a good idea. I also tell her she can get up once she apologizes for the "crime"

I think you have to explain to kids what they did wrong and why it is not an acceptable action. If you do nto talk tot hem about it after, how will they know why they shouldn't do it or maybe they do not even knwo what they did. Especially if the "crime" is something that can hurt himself or others. They need to be resepcted and this is a great lesson in communication. If he grows up doing something wrong and then you don't explain or talk to him about it or ask for an apology he MAY grow up thinking if he does something wrong to someone, he has a time out and its over, no need to apologize. Just one moms oppinion.

I got some of my tips from the Nanny Deb on nanny 911. I know it is a tv show but so is Dr phil

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 23, 2005, 11:49 am CDT

31 year old daughter of toxic parents

My homelife was abusive from a young age. Mental and verbal and emotional mostly. I have been punched by my dad. THings ended up being good with us until I married a nice man and my dad lost control of me. My hubby works 80-100 hours aweek, I get to stay home. We have a really nice house. I have 2 children, one from a boyfriend 14 years ago and our toddler who is 3. My 14 yr odl was molested by an ex husband of mine. She has been diagnosed with bipolar, ptsd, and anxiety disorder. My parents wanted me to NOT press charges on ex husband for the molestation. ARE THEY CRAZY i guess so.

Then when my daughter was diagnosed with bipolar, they told me it was my fault and if my husband and myself would spend more time with her she would be ok. We live with her so we spend all our time with her...

I had to have her admitted to a psych hospital (not fun for a mom) and my dad said I should be the one who is locked up.

Anyhow things go tso back we stopped talking for about 1 year. I have begun speaking to them again but cannot get past the last couple years of the stuff with my daughter. Whenever I bring her up in conversation and what is going on with her illness they change the subject or tell me to go to schurch. I do go to church and do not get me wrong I believe and have faith. BUT a mental illness just doesn't go away. Why don't they get it,

I try to not talk about my daughter with them and then they say they feel left out. SO then I end up not talking to them at all.

Am I wrong?

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 24, 2005, 9:05 am CDT

do you have a therapist

What I hate is the fact that other people who have not experienced any kind of mental health problems do not understand people like me whodo not handle every day stress. I get so stressed out that I will cry all day think about suicide as a way out from feeling so stressed. I become unfunctional. That is why I have had so many jobs and landed in the hospital. And I get the attitude from some people that I can control my bipolar. Well I can take medication, which I do, but when my life starts to get out off balance that is just like throwing fuel on a fire and not expect it to to flame up! It upsets me that everyday stress affects me this way, but how do you keep it from happening. Med's help to a certain point, but what to due when the meds dont help? Ya they say exercise, but when you feel so depressed you cant get out of bed, how are you suppose to put workout clothes on and go for a walk or whatever. And when I have gone for a walk to get my mind off things I think more about them walking. What is there to do when you walk but think! Then I have to pretend Im find around people because they wont understand. Then my husband who is a long haul trucker and only home 4 days a month;I cannt tell him all the time how I feel because it scares him and makes him feel crappy because he cant be here with me. So Im alone in my depression, since there is no support groups in this crappy town I live in. So Im trying the best I can do but sometimes it is not good enough.

Most people with bipolar need to have medication as well as talk therapy.

My daughter has done very well with cognitive behavioral therapy.

Unfortunately most people who are "normal" do not understand mental illness. All we can do is try and educate. My daughter learned the hard way of trying to be "ok or fine" around people when she wasn't. It doesn't work sometimes make things worse. You should not have to hide who you are. Be yourself. I have taught my daughter to surround herself with positive people. If negavtive people are around you will most likely be more negative and all that will do is play on your already fragile self-esteem. At one point in my daughters newly diagnosed illness we have had to stop speaking to my parents because they refused to "get it". She lalso quit speaking to her dad (who had only been around for a few months) because he was in denial and was very negative regarding medications. She couldn't handle trying to be someone she wasn't while with him. It was more stressful for her and wore her out emotionally and mentally. I do not have answers but just want you to know your not alone.

If you need to talk please email me

Tam

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 24, 2005, 5:42 pm CDT

I will sign EMily and myself up :)

Hey..did everyone see that Dr. Phil is doing a show on mental illness? Everyone should submit that they would go on the show.

I still think there should be a weight loss/mental illness show. To help us all feel better about our total selves. If you agree, send in your thoughts and story. :o)

I will go sign up will let you know if I hear anything

Tam

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 24, 2005, 6:02 pm CDT

faith I am so sorry

I'm struggling a little tonight....my mood is starting to spiral down and the sad thing is that I don't even care. I'm tired of fighting my own emotional turmoil. Maybe it's o.k. to be sad and lonely?

I am so sorry your rollercoaster is dipping again.

I do not have any advise other than take care of yourself and you have my email me if you need me.

Love and hugs Tammy

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 6:28 am CDT

Jesse I am a mom of a 14 yr bper

i have a bi polar child that was misdiagnosed for years.finally at 15 he was diagnosed they said he had adhd what a crock

Hi, I am a 31 year old mother of a 14 year old diagnosed with bipolar, post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety disorder in 2003.

My daughter is stable now after 2 years of med trials.

If you need any info, support, venting, etc please contact me

Tammy

mommaoof2@yahoo.com

Hoep to hear from you soon :)

User Mood
Weird

Message Emote
blank
July 25, 2005, 6:30 am CDT

EM sighting

Just to let everyone know I communicate with EM on occasion and last check she is still around.

I too hope she will pop up around here, we all love and miss her. :)

Until then please know she is ok

Tammy

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board