Messages By: loretta24

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
August 11, 2005, 1:15 pm CDT

School Lunch

Quote From: larisa67

My son's behavior changes drastically when he eats artificial additives (colors, flavors or preservatives).  He is on the Feingold Program which eliminates all these things.  We have had great success as long as I have complete control.  When he goes to school, I won't and I don't want to home school.  I don't know what to do.  Most school lunch programs are loaded with junk and additives.  I guess I could start now and try to urge them to make changes.  It would benefit the behavior and learning of all children to take this stuff out of their diet, at least at school.  Many, Many studies show that these additives cause learning & behavior problems.  You would think schools would know this and do something about it.  Maybe I can make them change.  We'll see! 

I don't know how your public school's lunch program works but ours is not mandatory.  In other words, you pack the foods that you want your child to eat.  The school lunch here is semi healthy, they serve veggies and fruits, but I bet most kids don't eat them.  At least when I pack the lunch I know what she is eating.   

While the Feingold Program may work for your son, it made no difference with my daughter's ADD.  We limit "junk" food in our home anyway and it is considered a treat and not the norm.  My daughter's issue is focus and not behavior.  Don't know if the program has more effect on hyperactivity or not.  

It will an uphill battle trying to change the school district.  Most programs are budget driven and major changes can prove costly to the schools.  Best way to make any changes is with a group of like minded parents.  If one person complains, they are a pain in the neck, if a group complains, they are more likely to be listened to.  Good luck if you do try to change the schools and in the meantime I suggest a good lunchbox!! 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 22, 2005, 5:39 am CST

Good Morning!

Hello to everyone here on this board.  Heard that those on this board are smart, funny, compassionate and other good things so I thought I would introduce myself.  I am normally over on the Current Events board but could use a break from those events about now. 

I am a married mom of 3 daughters (8, 6 and 3 ) and I live in the New England area of the US.   

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday! 

Thanks Tap for the invite! 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 22, 2005, 10:29 am CST

Neecie

Thank you for the welcome!  The compliments are courtesy of Tapestry, her words over on the Current Events board.  From what I have read so far, she hit the nail on the head! 

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know everyone. 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 22, 2005, 10:35 am CST

Cygne

No need to apologize.  I finally got around to checking this board out today and it is nice to "see" a familiar face! 

I think I am almost ready for the holidays.  The kids are all set and that is, for me, what I enjoy most.  Hours and hours of shopping and wrapping reduced to 15 minutes of craziness filled with shrieks and laughter.  Santa bring it on, I am ready for the fun!! 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 23, 2005, 4:52 am CST

Kathy

Thanks for the welcome!  Nothing on the CE board itself is driving nuts but more needing a break from politics and news. 

Saw your post to Cygne about NYC in the summer.  Not the place to be when it is 90!!  I sometimes take the place for granted, I live close enough to visit often but rarely do.  BC (before children), I would hop the train and go about once a month but now it is down to a couple times a year.  We took the kids for the first time last April and boy did they love it.  Enough lights and action to amaze even big kids.  

Have a great holiday! 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 23, 2005, 4:57 am CST

Trace

Hello and yes I do recognize you from over at the CE board.  Not sure who "she of the feather boa" is but congrats on the grandbaby!  Sounds like a good choice to me! 

Happy holidays! 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 23, 2005, 11:59 am CST

Cygne

Quote From: cygne88

When my son was 10 I bought him his first acoustic guitar along with guitar lessons. Then he wanted an electric guitar. So I told him he'd have to earn half of it and I would pay for the other half. Then around 14 he started to work part-time for our family owned company and he bought himself a huge set of Marshall speakers & head (amplifier). Started writing his own music. He was also in the school band and learned how to read drum music and play the drums. So one day he decided to go trade his big huge speakers & head (amplifier) in for his first set of drums. I never had anything to do with that. He had many a band practice in my basement with his band. Yes, I had to go for walks sometimes 'cause I thought my head was going to explode, but I kept telling myself "At least I know where he is, he's not getting into trouble". I'm sure that's not what my neighbours were saying though. But they were very patient and tolerant. A few years ago, he decided to take drum lessons from a professional drummer. Last year, he had a custom drum kit made for him by Yamaha. Did not put out a penny towards it. I'd rather he spend his hard earned money on drums than drugs. I think music kept him out of trouble most of the time as a teenager, because sometimes I wondered about some of his friends. 

I do go on about my son. Forgive me. That's what mothers do. 

Sorry for jumping in but I just finished wrapping the acoustic guitar for my 8 year old.  My 6 year old wanted drums but that will have to wait until I can invest in ear plugs! 

What a great attitude regarding the band practice, I hope that your son appreciates what a good mom you are!!! 

I have absolutely no musical ability whatsoever but fortunately my husband has passed on some of his abilities (guitar) to the girls.  Nothing like watching them dance and sing as dad plays Neil Young and the Grateful Dead. 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
December 30, 2005, 10:59 am CST

Quote From: tapestry6o

Type "define avatar" into Google and you get: "A graphical image of a user, such as used in graphical real-time Chat applications, or, a graphical personification of a computer or a computer process, intended to make the computing or network environment a more friendly place."

I'm with Cygne on this one:  Merriam Webster defines avatar as "1.the incarnation of a Hindu deity 2. incarnation in human form 3. a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity 4. an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user" 

Sad to admit but the reason that I too thought it to be related to incarnation is because of a kids show called "The Avatar - Last Airbender".  My girls love it. 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
January 5, 2006, 11:01 am CST

Question?

I must say that I am a bit curious as to something about this board.  What is it doing under Sex?  Just wondering!!  Happy New Year to everyone!!   

Tap and Battle, thanks for the info on the Windows issues, I am not the most computer literate person so any info helps!! 

User Mood
Cheerful

Message Emote
blank
January 8, 2006, 12:12 pm CST

Sorry I missed that one!

Quote From: cygne88

before that. "Anti-Americanism:Why so many dislike the US." Boy that was a hot board!!!

That must have been a very interesting board!!!  I am such a newbie compared to most here.  When I first started following the CE board, the plain nastiness of some of the posts kept me from "opening my mouth".  I guess I couldn't keep quiet forever!!   

Thanks for the endorsement Battle.  We can learn much from each other when we discuss our differences fairly, although sometimes it can be so gratifying to rant. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board