Message Boards

Messages By: mamabyrd00

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
blank
October 12, 2005, 10:03 pm CDT

I just don't get it

My daughter and son-in-law have been married for 9 years and have 2 wonderful children.  He is an over-the-road truck driver and she started working at the hospital now that their children are both in school all day.  My daughter (A) has lied and deceived my son-in-law (J) about finances for so long that their marriage and finances are now a shambles!  A little over a year ago, they declared bankrupcy and now things are a mess all over again.  In the past week, J has found out about a secret checking account, personal loans, unpaid bills and that their checking account is overdrawn ($700+).  He's at his wits end.  I don't know how to help them; we don't why she started this or how long it's been going on.  I understand his distraughtness and feeling hopeless.  I'm afraid she's going to do something stupid and don't know what, if anything, I can do to help her.  I don't know how/when she learned to do this! 

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
anxious
October 12, 2005, 10:33 pm CDT

Job hunting at 55

I started working for Head Start in July 1999 and have been in the same position (Preschool secretary) since.  In 2002 my annual salary finally hit $16,000.  Each year since, my work calendar has been cut from 52 weeks (2002) to 48; then in 2003 it was cut again to  42 weeks and in 2004, again to 40 weeks; two weeks ago the Coordinator called me into her office at the end of the day to tell me that due to budget cuts, my position was being eliminated effective October 28, 2005.  Jobs here are not easy to come by.  At my age, it's  going to be even harder to find gainful employment again.  My savings are gone; I've lost my home and declared bankrupcy in April 2005.  I'm scared to death I'm going to become a baglady before I reach 60.  Any suggestions?

User Mood
Worried

Message Emote
surprised
October 15, 2005, 7:56 am CDT

hmmmmm

Quote From: renagade

do you have a defeatist thinking you are defeating yourself.  Ok your 55, I am 58 and for the past year I have been working for a temp agency that gives people daily jobs.  I have been doing this while at the same time getting a business going.  The reason I chose day labor over looking for employment was - I am over 50 and I am too strong for some employers to handle in my regular field. 

Remember age is a number not a condition or a disease.  Another option is join AARP and contact them about the program for people over 50 - they have one. 

Ok you declared bankruptcy just recentely - deal with it and overcome it - you just don't know you can. 

I never thought of that!  I had forgotten a temporty agency was how I got my first really good job after military service.  Thank you so much for jerking the cobwebs out of my brain for me.  Guess I just needed a slap of past reality to bring me back to present reality!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board