Message Boards

Messages By: pearamedic

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
September 13, 2008, 2:41 pm CDT

People need to worry about their kids

I've notice its the people who accuse and dictate to everyone else how to parent their kids who have the most annoying, rude, back talking brats.  Child welfare worries about some of the dumbest things.  Child welfare should be a form of government that I believe should be banned.

My daughter was bitten at the daycare.  Child welfare NEVER investigated it.  The police department was the only people who gave a crap and investigated it.  They investigated the bite nothing but the bite.  Didn't do a home inspection, didn't invade our privacy (not that they would have found anything if they had).  But the police did a better job and cared more then Child Welfare could ever have a concept of doing.  Or should I say, Child-We-Really-Don't-Care-About-Their-Welfare. 

So I say let's get rid of case workers who think they're better then everyone and above the law and place chldren in abusive foster homes.  Let's get rid of child welfare and use our police who are real trained professionals.  Also to the parents, grandparents, and everyone who have to worry about how others raise their kids.  While your watching my kids your kids are committing the crimes you complain about and leaving you grandkids to raise. 

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
September 14, 2008, 8:20 pm CDT

In response

Quote From: socialworkmom

If you are going to be critical of the childwelfare system you must first know the facts.  I have worked in child welfare for 15+years.  I believe in the system and although not perfect does a very good job.  Each state in the Union has seperate laws.  In Pennsylvania the system is County run with regulations from the state and federal goverment.  Child Welfare can not become involved unless there is an allegation.  Although many believe that we pick on people this is not accurate.  There also needs to be an allegation of abuse or neglect as defined by the Child Protective Service Law (CPSL) and the Juvenile Act. There also must be a perpatrator as defined by law.  Again in Pa this is a parent ,guardian, significant other of a parent or guardian, caretaker or household member over the age of 14.  This does not mean that other abuse does not exist it just does not fall under the jurisdiction of Child Welfare however does fall under the jurisidiction of Law Enforcement.  It is also important to understand that the standard between law enforcement and Child Welfare is different.  Law Enforcement is attempting to determine if a criminal act has occured and Child Welfare is looking at Child Abuse.  It is possible to have one without the other.  Child Welfare is always being condemened for doing to much or not enough.  Prior to making judgement be sure that all the facts are accurate and present.  Although I am unable to speak for all agencies across the nation I will and can assure you that my agency takes the job and children very seriously and follow the letter of the law. 

First the case worker accused me of biting my daughter when a child had bitten my daughter.  At the hospital, I was told by the police officer that child welfare had been called and would be investigating the matter as well.  However no case worker ever showed and the officer seemed to be handling it.  It was only later that I learned the child welfare worker said she had gone to my house, looked around, and spoke to me.

I have plane tickets and hotel receipts to show I was not home.  So she could not have gone in my home and spoken to me.  So her report is false!   Last I heard she is still a case worker!   She should have been fired if not arrested so making false reports.

My old neighbors had a newborn and during the dead of winter had no electricity, no running water, and conditions I wouldn't put a rabid animal in.  Despite several calls from myself and neighbors no one came out.  Yet my friend had her kids taken away over night because her ex made an accusation and they realized that night it was false but waited until morning to return them!  We'd hate for case workers to have to make a drive to return children to their home rather then get their beauty sleep.

Our child welfare returned a child to a mother who showed she could not be trusted with a child and the child was beaten to death not to long after.  A mother was given a child after leaving her child in a truck stop for hours.

If a child is hurt and as you said there is nothing for Child Welfare to investigate but law enforcement sees it fit to look for other forms of abuse, should Child Welfare not be involved rather then passing the buck of Maybes to law enforcement? 

Since you worked for child welfare for 15+ years, have you ever apologize for the to the parents/guardians who were accused of abuse that Child Welfare determined to be false after causing the heartache and headache of being investigated?

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
September 16, 2008, 11:33 am CDT

Use Common Sense

Aside from my rant, I will say people also need to know sometimes realize what looks like a parent being neglectful can infact being a different picture.  Last night, I met of friend of mine whose a cop at a gas station.  We each pulled up to the pump.  I only had cash on me so I asked my friend if he would keep an eye on my kids while I went in and paid.  Mind you my friend is in uniform with his patrol car and I have three sleeping kids in the mini van.  The van is off but I have the windows rolled down some and it is 73 degrees outside.  So the kids are supervised by a police officer, they are buckled in, and not about to fry to death in the car.

Yet when I came out a woman in her 60s or so started yelling at me telling me how she was going to called child welfare.  I yelled back at her that my kids were being watched by police officer.  There of course was no come back or recovery for her.  My friend explained that the law says children need to be supervised but it doesn't say the person supervising has to be in the car.  He was on the other side of the pump so clearly had a child woke up and cried or needed help he was there and my kids know and love him. 

My point being is before you call child welfare make sure the picture is what it seems.  How much trouble would it have been for that old woman to say to me that it wasn't right for me to leave my kids in the car then come up in my face yelling at me?  Plus maybe we as a society should take a lesson from our grandparents.  If you see someone has left their kids in the car to run in for a second maybe you should be the adult and keep an eye out of that child or make sure that there isn't someone else watching for that child for the parent.  Remember every call you make has to be investigated.  So while you may call on a child left in a car who was being watching by an adult; nearby another child may have another minute, hour, day, or week of abuse.

If you see a parent whose kids are sleeping in the car and he/she needs to pay for gas or anything to that matter.  Would it kill anyone of us to volunteer, "Hey, I'll keep an eye on your kids while you go in a pay."  What's the worse that's going to happen?  You make a person's day a little easier.  Have you never need a break or hand in life?  I ask which will you want next time you are in need of help with your kids; someone tattling on you or someone with a good heart offering you help?

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
September 17, 2008, 12:08 pm CDT

09/18 Parents Falsely Accused?

Quote From: meemaw2jjmm

I agree with you but just be careful if someone offers to watch your kids, you never know how honest they are.  Personally, I would volunteer to watch, yet I would be fearful of being wrongly accused.  Unfortunately, back in our grandparents day, there weren't as many whackos out there wanting to kidnap, rape or murder your children.  Be Careful Mom. :)

I don't believe there were less wackos out there.  I believe people just tended to not to talk about the molester, murderer, kidnapper, rapist.  I believe rather then accepting that our parents and grandparents did the best they knew how under the circumstances they knew we just look at the situation with hind sight being 20/20. 

Yes, there's always a chance there's a wacko but teaching your child to live in constant fear of every stranger is in my opinion a form of abuse.  If you teach your child to fear all strangers then where would they go if they needed help finding help?  There aren't always police men or secruity guards.  99% parents and grandparents have had that moment of 'Oh God where So-So go?'

I taught my four year old if we become separated and there is no secruity or police officer in sight to look for a man or woman who child or someone to that nature.  At the store, I ask my daughter occasionally to tell me who she would go to if she was lost.  She look and even walk around until she sees someone she would be comfortable with.  I then have her go up to them and ask them the time.  

Just one thing I've always wanted to know.  This is a question for someone who believes leaving the child in the car for second is wrong, someone mentioned John's Walsh's son was kidnapped from I believe Walmart while his mother was an aisle over.  Should police have charged her neglect?  She had her child in the store not in the car and something happened. 

I really more fearful of people who dictate what is abuse and neglectful then I am of the strangers who could be wackos.

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
September 18, 2008, 9:18 pm CDT

Quote From: justforu

If child welfare ignored the calls everyone would say they don't care and when they come knock on your door you say they have no right.

In this case where the child was bitten at the day care; was child welfare or the animal control contacted? So don't be so quick to give an opinon. If the police didn't follow protocool and make the necessary calls. What did you do?

Police officer told me at the hospital that child welfare would be notified as required by law.  There is a report saying a social worker came out to my home and talked to me when I have plane tickets and hotel reciepts to show I was elsewhere.  So either the Child Welfare worker is telepathic and broke into my house or I smell a rat. 

One other thing about this 'what if' leaving child in a car.  What if a parent who never left their child out of sight for a minute (poor kid) took their child into a small store and three robbers came in robbed the place and shot up the joint.  In the shooting, the child is shot.  Putting the robbers aside, you could play the other end of the card and say if the mother/father had left the kid in the car where the robbers wouldn't have noticed the kid as the robbers running in or out of the store.

What ever happened to the idea of bad things happen sometimes? 

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
September 19, 2008, 9:55 am CDT

Quote From: carollewis

This is a ridiculous scenario.  This is the same thing as saying a child is safer being beaten at home because she is not available to be sexually abused at day care.  Parents are obligated to protect their children from risk.  If your child were molested, would you be satisfied is someone told you that "bad things happen sometimes"?

I just meant that different situation bad thing do happen in the best and safest situations that parents can provide.   

I am more convinced then ever after reading this board that there are more true people who I can only describe as children worshippers.  My opinion is some of these childred worshippers are abusive of the system and should attend parenting classes and mine your own business classes. 

And to quote a child service worker on this board if you aren't watching your child its neglect.  So to the Parent Child Worshippers if you're watching my child, you aren't watching your own children.  Can I turn you in?  After all it only takes a second of you not watching your child for something bad to happen.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board