Message Boards

Messages By: agarrido83

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
frustrated
July 26, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

Too Much Exercise?

I walk one hour each day and lift weights. Am I pushing myself too much? I'm so desperate to lose weight and with Dr. Phil's book, this is the first time I've ever been serious. Although, I don't eat what he recommends. I've cut down on what I eat and I eat more fruit. So, do you think I'm pushing myself with exercise?

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
surprised
July 27, 2005, 7:09 am CDT

Thank You for the Advice.

Quote From: trim140

Are you lifting weights every day? You are supposed to wait a day in between lifting weights to allow your muscles some repair time. I use Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover book because it tells what exercises, how many and how long you should exercise for your ability level. There are 3 types of exercises in his program: functional (core body exercises, crunches and stretches) that you do 6 days a week, cardio (depending on your fitness level 30 minutes to an hour) 6 days a week, and weight resistance three times a week.

Your food intake and exercise output have to work together for the best results. You need to make sure you are getting the right amount of protein, grains, dairy, fruits and vegetables that will fuel your body and help it along. What Dr. Phil's food program recommends is a very balanced approach to eating. I really think you will be more satisfied with the results you have if you follow his food plan along with intentional exercise. Bob Greene's book (he was Oprah's trainer) has 5 simple rules of eating which are basice rules to live by.

There is a phenomenon that not eating ENOUGH will hinder your weight loss efforts, so I'd be careful about randomly just cutting back on what you eat.

Walking an hour a day is fantastic! You are way ahead of the game, and I certainly don't think you are pushing yourself too much.

Gail

Thank you for responding. I'm going to look into the books you mentioned. I'll try to pay for attention to my food intake.

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
sad
July 27, 2005, 9:15 am CDT

I'm Only 21

I'm only 21 but I have a beautiful 7 month old son. I'm 5' 1" tall and weigh 230 pounds. I need to lose weight for myself and my son. I've been overweight for all of my life. I have had 2 patella (kneecap) realignments. My weight doesn't help my knees walk any easier. I want to be able to run after my son. I also want to be able to walk up the stairs without losing my breath. I used to get teased a lot for my weight when I was a kid and probably still get teased. Ever since I gave birth to my son, I haven't been able to lose my weight. Help.

User Mood
Depressed

Message Emote
confused
July 27, 2005, 9:17 am CDT

Your Skin

Quote From: silverkatt

I am the very happy success story for gastric bypass and finally I can show you what it did for me. It was March 30, 2001 and I weighed 260 pounds. I was so ready to do this surgery that I would have done it with a 25% SURVIVAL chance. A year later I was 120 pounds lighter, had stopped all high blood pressure medicine and my blood work and blood pressure were incredible. I am 50 years old and married the most wonderful man on earth 3 years ago. Thirty years of obesity and trying and failing at every diet imaginable brought me to this solution.May I suggest that if you consider it that when you look for a doctor, you find out how many patients he has lost. The last time I checked my doctor who has been performing this surgery for at least 5 or 6 years has had NO DEATHS. It's like anything else in life...check out their qualifications and their successes.

I attended a seminar about a year ago with men and women in all stages of pre-op and post-op and there were a couple of guys that had lost 300 and 400 pounds! I met a wonderful woman that had lost 238. It was an incredible weekend. I volunteer my time on a website hoping to guide others that are researching this surgery through their journey.

Did you have to get a tummy tuck or anything from losing weight so quickly? Did you have any problems with your skin hanging or anything?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board