Anti-Bullying Pledge - Students - GBLT Print this page
We the students of ______________________________ agree to join together to stamp out bullying of Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual and transgender (GLBT) students and students perceived to be GLBT at our school.
We believe that everybody should enjoy our school equally, and feel safe, secure and accepted regardless of sexual preference or gender identity/expression.
Bullying can be threatening, physically attacking, pushing, shoving, hitting, and spitting, as well as name calling, picking on, making fun of, laughing at, and excluding someone. Anti-GLBT bullying causes pain and stress to students that are gay as well as students perceived to be gay and is never justified or excusable as "kids being kids," "just teasing" or any other rationalization. The victim is never responsible for being a target of bullying. Our school’s GLBT students, like all students, are entitled to a school and classroom environment that provides an optimum opportunity for education free of fear and harassment.
By signing this pledge, we the students agree to:
- Value student differences, including sexual orientation and gender identity/expression differences and treat others with respect.
- Not become involved in anti-GLBT bullying incidents or be a bully.
- Be aware of the school's policies and support system with regard to anti-GLBT bullying.
- Report honestly and immediately all incidents of anti-GLBT bullying to a faculty member.
- Be alert in places around the school where there is less adult supervision such as bathrooms, corridors, and stairwells.
- Support GLBT students who have been or are subjected to bullying.
- Talk to teachers and parents about concerns and issues regarding anti-GLBT bullying.
- Work with other students and faculty, to help the school deal with anti-GLBT bullying effectively.
- Encourage teachers to discuss GLBT bullying issues in the classroom.
- Provide a good role model for younger students who may or may not be GLBT or are uninformed of school GLBT harassment policies and support them if bullying occurs.
- Participate fully and contribute to assemblies dealing with bullying.
I acknowledge that whether I am being a bully or see someone being bullied, if I don't report or stop the bullying, I am just a part of perpetuating the problem. .