Are You In an Emotionally Abusive Relationship?
Does your partner continuously degrade or belittle you? If you think that just because you aren't being physically abused nothing is wrong, think again.
Emotional abuse can have devastating consequences on both physical and mental health. While emotional or psychological abuse may be difficult to pinpoint, examples abound. Here are some characteristics:
- Using economic power to control you
- Threatening to leave
- Making you afraid by using looks, gestures or actions
- Smashing things
- Controlling you through minimizing, denying and blaming
- Making light of the abuse and not taking your concerns about it seriously
- Continually criticizing you, calling you names, shouting at you
- Emotionally degrading you in private, but acting charming in public
- Humiliating you in private or public
- Withholding approval, appreciation or affection as punishment
All content provided and shared on this platform (including any information provided by users) is intended only for informational, entertainment, and communication purposes on matters of public interest and concern and is not intended to replace or substitute for professional medical, financial, legal, or other advice. None of the content should be considered mental health or medical advice or an endorsement, representation or warranty that any particular treatment is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. If you have specific concerns or a situation in which you require professional or medical advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified specialist.