Dr. Phil says that in order to keep weight off, you need to change your patterns. Follow these five steps to create a strategy for your weight loss goal. 1. Program yourself for success: Set a very specific goal.
- Remember that losing weight requires a change in thought and behavior, so set goals for your emotions and weight.
- Don’t just set vague goals like, “I want to lose some weight.” Be specific: How much weight do you want to lose? How do you want to feel? Close your eyes and visualize yourself after you’ve reached those goals. Use this visualization to feel commitment and inner strength.
2. Get a plan.
- Work out a detailed strategy because willpower doesn’t work! To lose weight and keep it off, you must have a strategy.
- Plan ahead: Get rid of your expandable clothes, stay away from fast food, and keep healthy food in your pantry.
3. Identify small, measurable steps.
- Implement steps that will fit your lifestyle, not somebody else's.
- Be sure to move toward a positive goal, not just away from being fat. Every step you take will bring you closer to being who you want to be.
4. Create a healthy, realistic timeline.
- Where will you be in a month? Six months? A year? Fit your goals to your calendar, and stick to it.
- Don't expect to see huge results overnight; take the time to change your lifestyle, and you'll change your weight.
5. Create meaningful monitoring and accountability.
- If you know you have to report your progress to someone, you'll be more likely to stick with your plan.
- "Go public" with somebody you trust. Find support when you need it, and celebrate your victories!