Fixing a Broken Marriage
It is not too late: You can rescue your relationship and reconnect with your partner. It may not be easy, but here's Dr. Phil's advice on where to even begin.
- Recognize that you have the power to redefine the relationship. Even if you feel like a victim, you play a role in setting up what is and isn't acceptable in your marriage.
- Stop the ego-driven power struggle. Don't be a "right-fighter." Is it worth destroying your marriage so you can be right in every argument?
- Make a promise to work on your marriage every single day — not just during the bad times, but also during the good ones.
- Make a plan together to renegotiate the relationship. Even patterns that you've had for 20 years can be changed.
- Your vows are about commitment, not method. If the methods you've been using aren't working, it's time to try new ones.