As parents, it’s important to empower children and help them become independent — but how do you know you’re on the right track?
Dr. Phil shares some helpful tips from his new book, Life Code: The New Rules for Winning in the Real World.
- Have I been preparing my children to function successfully at the next level of life?
- Have I taught my children to internalize my disciplines and values so
that they “self-police” in their lives when I’m not around?
- Have I taught my children to self-protect so that they can keep
themselves out of harm’s way when I’m no longer around to watch over
- Have I instilled in my children a sense of pride and self-worth so that
they will hold themselves to a standard of performance in meeting their
obligations and contributing to society?
- Have I taught my children to have the courage to be honest with
themselves about themselves and others in their lives so they don’t live
a lie or become a victim?
If you’ve answered no to one or more of these questions, your children may have trouble functioning in the real world. Focus on these elements to help ensure your kids are prepared for independence.
For more information on parenting in the real world, get your copy of Life Code: New Rules for Winning in the Real World.