Signs of Child Neglect
Child neglect is another type of child abuse. It is a pattern of failing to provide for a child's basic needs, such as food, clothing, hygiene or supervision. Here are warning signs that a child may be neglected:
- Inappropriate dress for weather and age. Clothes are filthy or ill-fitting.
- Consistent hunger: Is the child hoarding food?
- Poor hygiene: Matted or unwashed hair, lice outbreaks, wetting themselves, rashes, staph infections, noticeable body odor.
- Consistent lack of supervision: Frequently left alone or allowed to play in unsafe environments, seen wandering outside by themselves.
- Unattended physical and medical problems: Untreated illnesses, injuries or infections, missed doctor appointments.
- Abandonment: Left for days with others.
- Underweight, poor growth, not hitting developmental milestones.
- Frequently late or missing from school.