Zip Code:
Provider Type:

          Steps to Take if You Are Falsely Accused of Child Abuse

          September 18, 2008

          “Anyone can file child abuse charges against anyone at any time, and when it happens, an investigation will ensue,” Dr. Phil says. “There is a presumption that someone has done something wrong, and they’re going to rule that out.” If a claim is not investigated, a child may remain at risk of being hurt.

          If you are falsely accused, here’s how to respond:

          1. Cooperate with the Authorities
          They’re not your enemy; they’re the child’s friend.

          2. Get an Experienced Attorney or Legal Aid
          Find someone familiar with child abuse cases. If you don’t have the money for an attorney, call legal aid, explain your situation and get representation.

          3. Don’t Speak to Anyone but Your Attorney about the Case
          Don’t plead your case at church, talk with your neighbors or share your story in the community.

          4. Get Media Attention
          It may be appropriate to have the media spotlight, so someone is watching what’s happening with your family, and your children do not get taken away and put into the foster care system without just cause.

          5. You May Need to Hire a Private Investigator

          Phil in the Blanks – The Podcast

          Tell Us Your Story

          Be on the Show! Text “PHIL” to 88500

          Want to Be on the New Show “Face the Truth”?

          Want to be on “Face the Truth”, a new show by Stage 29 Productions (producer of “The Doctors”), hosted by Vivica A. Fox?

          Be on the Show

          Explosive Family Drama?

          Does everyone in your family have strong personalities and refuse to back down?

          Be on the Show

          Need Dr. Phil’s Help?

          Share your story for a chance to be on the show!

          Help & Resources

          Find Treatment Centers and Therapists!

          Check out the mental health treatment programs that have assisted Dr. Phil guests.

          Feeding America

          Learn how you can help feed a family struggling with hunger during the holidays.

          Be on the Show

          Have a Story Dr. Phil Won’t Believe?

          Want to appear on Dr. Phil? Text PHIL to 88500

          Simple Share Buttons
          Simple Share Buttons