Warning Signs of Prescription Drug Abuse
Prescription drugs can promote healing and well-being if taken for the right reasons, but if they're taken with other drugs or used recreationally, the consequences can be deadly. The untimely death of several celebrities, including former child actor Corey Haim, who were found with prescription pill bottles by their side, has brought the prescription drug abuse epidemic to the limelight. This is a crisis happening everywhere from Hollywood, to high schools and even elementary schools. If you fear a loved one may be abusing prescription pills, watch for these warning signs:
- Unresponsiveness The person may appear to have a "spaced-out" expression.
- Memory Problems The person may experience blackouts where he or she does not remember parts of or all of the night before.
- Thinking Problems
- Rapid Weight Loss or Change in Eating Habits
- Making More Mistakes than Normal
- Irritability, Agitation and Anger
- Changes in Sleep Patterns
- Making Bad Decisions
- Using Bad Judgment
- Becoming More Socially Distant and Isolated in Many Areas of Life.