Zip Code:
Provider Type:

          What to Do If You Witness Child Abuse

          January 13, 2003

          • Avoid physical confrontation
            As upset as you might be from witnessing child abuse, do not confront the abuser. Alert others in the area whose job it is to handle the situation — such as management or security. 

          • Call 911
            If the abuse is taking place at a location where there is no management or security, contact your local authorities.
          • Ask the adult if he/she needs help
            Offer to help if the adult can’t control the situation at the moment. For example, if the parent is lashing out because his/her child has thrown store merchandise onto the floor, ask if you can help to pick it up.
          • Get a description of the parent and child
          • Write down the license number of the car
          • Call your local family services office
            Contact them with the physical descriptions and license number that you have written down. Alert them to the situation and let them know that somebody needs to look into it.
          Statistics about Child Abuse and Unrelated Adults:
          • Children who live with a single parent, who has a live-in partner, are 20 times more likely to be victims of child sex abuse than children living with both biological parents, according to Darkness to Light.
          • A report by the states that one-tenth to one-third of child fatalities were caused by unrelated adults in the home; Unrelated adults in the home beat very young children to death more than 100 times per capita than genetic parents; and the risk of a child dying at the hands of adults is eight times higher if the adult is unrelated.
          TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: Life in crisis?
          Be on the Show

          Need Dr. Phil’s Help?

          Share your story for a chance to be on the show!

          Tell Us Your Story

          Be on the Show! Text “PHIL” to 88500
          Be on the Show

          Have a Volatile Child, Parent or Sibling?

          Do you have a relative who you are completely at odds with because of their toxic behavior? Desperate for Dr. Phil’s help?

          Be on the Show

          I’m Living a Nightmare!

          Is your story so extreme that it’s unbelievable? Do you feel your problems have no end?

          Be on the Show

          Explosive Family Drama?

          Does everyone in your family have strong personalities and refuse to back down?

          Help & Resources

          Find Treatment Centers and Therapists!

          Check out the mental health treatment programs that have assisted Dr. Phil guests.

          Feeding America

          Learn how you can help feed a child this summer.

          Be on the Show

          Have a Story Dr. Phil Won’t Believe?

          Want to appear on Dr. Phil? Text PHIL to 88500

          Simple Share Buttons
          Simple Share Buttons