Anti-Bullying Pledge - Parents - GBLT
We the parents of ______________________________ agree to join together to safeguard against and stamp out bullying of Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual and Transgender (GLBT) students and students perceived to be GLBT in our school.
We believe that everybody should enjoy our school equally, and feel safe, secure and accepted regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
Bullying can be threatening, physically attacking, pushing, shoving, hitting, and spitting, as well as name calling, picking on, making fun of, laughing at, and excluding someone. Anti-GLBT bullying causes pain and stress to students that are gay as well as students perceived to be gay and is never justified or excusable as "kids being kids," "just teasing" or any other rationalization. The victim is never responsible for being a target of bullying. Our school’s GLBT students, like all students, are entitled to a school and classroom environment that provides an optimum opportunity for education free of fear and harassment.
By signing this pledge, we the parents agree to:
- Keep ourselves and our children informed and aware of our school’s GLBT anti-bullying intervention and harassment policy and/or student bill of rights that explicitly includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Work in partnership with the school to encourage effective monitoring and enforcement of GLBT anti-bullying intervention policies as well as encourage training for teachers, counselors, librarians, nurses and Title IX coordinators about sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Work in partnership with the school to encourage positive behavior, valuing differences and promoting sensitivity to others.
- Discuss regularly with our children their feelings about (sexual) bias and discrimination (What does it mean to be gay?), friendships and relationships.
- Encourage our school to include information in the library on GLBT issues to promote understanding among all students.
- Inform faculty of changes in our children's behavior or circumstances at home that may change a child's behavior at school.
- Alert faculty if any anti- GLBT bullying has occurred.
Signed by: _______________________________________
Print name: _______________________________________