The One Thing You Must Do to Stop Enabling a Drug Abuser
Candice, 29, admits to using drugs on a regular basis but blames her mom, Constance, for giving her cash or driving her to her dealer to buy them. “I have used cocaine when I was younger, alcohol, Xanax, opiates, methamphetamine, heroin," she says. "I’ve used pretty much anything to escape my mother.”
Constance admits she enables her daughter but says she never knowingly gives her money for drugs. “Because of Candice’s drug use, I’ve had drug dealers show up at my home and demand money from me,” she says, adding that she has wanted to call the police, but Candice was too scared, so she didn't. “Drugs are controlling her life. I’m afraid she’s going to die.”
Watch the video above to hear Dr. Phil’s message to Constance and anyone who might be enabling a drug abuser.
- Why This Mother Says She Still Does Her 29-Year-Old Daughter’s Laundry
- A Sobering Look at What Meth Can Do to Your Appearance
- Quiz: Are You an Enabler?
- Steps to Independence: How to Get Your Adult Children Living on Their Own
- 10 Key Signs of Having an Addiction
- Seven Steps to Breaking Your Addiction