Will Kids Plea To Their Overweight Father Motivate Him To Lose Weight?
Faith says her husband, Nicholas, couldn’t care less that he is approximately 100 pounds overweight, and she worries that he won’t be around to see their two children grow up.
“Nick’s favorite line is, ‘I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable,’” she says, admitting that she nags and bitches at him to eat healthy and exercise. “Nick needs to wake up and change his life now. Otherwise, he’s not going to have a family anymore. He’ll be dead.”
Nick, 30, says he knows he’s overweight, but he’s got a clean bill of health. “Society wants everybody to be small, and skinny, and fit and in shape and to me, that’s a waste of time,” he says.
Watch the video above as Faith’s two children, a 12-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter, who know Nick as their father, express their fear for their father’s life.
“I just want you in my life, because if you don’t, then my life will be crushed,” his son says. “Daddy, I don’t want you to die.”
Nick’s daughter adds, “I want you to see me at all my cheer competitions … Daddy, I love you, and I just want you healthy again.”
Dr. Phil explains to Nick that his life is hanging in the balance. “The risk of you having catastrophic events, cardiovasculalry, go up dramatically,” he tells him, explaining that he could find himself with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, raised triglycerides, diabetes, stroke and coronary disease, which could all cause death.
Dr. Phil knows about obesity all too well. “I come from a family that is full of people who are morbidly obese,” Dr. Phil tells Nick. In his new book, The 20/20 Diet: Turn Your Weight Loss Vision into Reality, Dr. Phil reveals why diets don’t work and how 20 key foods can lead to weight loss success. Will Nick agree to get help and turn his life around, at least for the sake of his kids? Watch more from this episode.
- Rebellion Triggers: 7 Reasons Why People Fail to Lose Weight
- Foods That May Make You Hungry
- "My Fight with Food is Ruining My Life"
- "Get Off My Back about My Body"
- Dr. Phil's Family, Weight Loss, and You
- This Hunger Mistake May Be Holding You Back From Weight Loss
- Ask Yourself This Before You Eat (It Could Save You Lbs)
- 'I Don't Deserve The Wedding Of My Dreams Until I Lose Weight'
- Two Women Get Painfully Candid About What It's Like To Struggle With Weight
- Top Reasons Why Most Diets Don't Work
- Why You May Never Again Weigh What You Did In High School (And Probably Shouldn't)
- You Probably Won't Lose Weight Without First Doing This