Teens: Think You're Ready to Be a Parent?
1. What is the average cost of pre-natal care in the first year?
2. What is the average cost of an emergency room co-pay, if the woman has insurance?
c. $Free under most plans.
3. What is the average cost of baby food for one year, not including formula?
b. $At least $1,000
4. What is the average cost of diapers for one year?
d. No less than $2,000
5. What is the average cost to raise a baby in the first year only?
6. What is the average cost of clothing for the first year?
7. What is the average cost of feeding for the first year?
8. What is the average cost of nursery items?
1. B. $1,500. Emily said $420, nearly one-third the actual cost.
2. D. $120. If Emily worked 20 hours per week, after taxes, that would be all of the money she had made for the week.
3. C. $672. Emily said $300 and says she plans to breast-feed. However, this figure accounts for just the price of food once the baby can eat solids.
4. A. $1,152. An average baby will use 320 diapers per month, and 3,840 per year. On Emily's budget of $600, she would only change a diaper twice a day.
5. C. $10,158. Emily's answer was $500. If Emily works 20 hours per week, at minimum wage, she will make just $146 a week, $7,592 per year, almost $3,000 less than what she'd need to take care of her child on her own.
6. A. $708
7. A. $972. Emily said $475, nearly half of what it would cost.
8. D. $693. This number doesn't even take in to account travel gear (stroller, car seat, etc.) or feeding supplies (highchair, bottles, bibs).