In the video above, Dr. Phil explains how heroin affects the brain.
“This isn’t just something psychological,” Dr. Phil says. “It hits the prefrontal cortex. It hits the limbic system and it goes all the way to the brain stem.”
TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: Life in crisis?
Some of the effects on the brain include:
TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: At your final breaking point?
- Impairs the ability to regulate one’s own behaviors
- Impairs emotional processing
- Impairs memory
- Impairs executive functioning: reasoning skills, ability to problem-solve, poor planning skills
- Decreases capacity for making decisions
- Decreases ability to imagine future events and interactions
- Decreases ability to respond to stressful situations
What Life Is Like For Parents Who Are Heroin Addicts