“People lie for different reasons,” Dr. Phil says.TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: Life in crisis?
In the video above, he outlines seven common reasons people lie.
1. To take what is not rightfully theirs
2. To escape accountability
3. To create a fantasy, a false self-esteem to escape their own mundane life
4. To avoid punishment
5. To inflict pain, i.e. spreading gossip
6. To feel better in the moment, “steal” admiration
7. To gain an advantage to exploit others
Dr. Phil’s guests Brandi and Max are at a crossroads in their marriage. Max says that he often lies to his wife
and admits to cheating on her since the beginning of their relationship.WATCH: Newlywed Says Husband Has Cheated, Lied: 'I Realized I Didn't Really Know Him At All'
“You need to really start asking yourself why you do what you do,” Dr. Phil tells Max.
Can – and should – this marriage be saved? Watch more
on Wednesday’s episode. Check here
to see where you can tune in.TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: Conflict so big it needs a Dr. Phil solution?
Man Is Confronted With Numerous Lies He Has Told Wife -- How Does He Explain Himself?