You or someone you love may be at risk for opioid addiction and not even know it. It is an epidemic that is plaguing families, towns and schools across America, with 91 people dying every day from an opioid overdose. What may start as a prescription for pain, could end up killing you or a loved one.
TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: Have a headline-making story in a small town?
Here are the startling statistics you need to know about opioid addiction in America:
- An estimated 2 million Americans 12 or older are addicted to prescription pain relievers
- 300 million annual opioid prescriptions are written
- Annual opioid prescriptions equal every American adult could have their own bottle
- If you have an opioid prescription and you refill it one time, one in seven people will be addicted one year later
- The chance of addiction increases after the third day that you are prescribed the medication
- 60% of overdose deaths involve opioids
- 91 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose
- Women addicted increased more than 400% from 1999 to 2010
- Fatally injured drivers who tested positive for opioids rose 700% from 1995 to 2015
- You’re 40 times more likely to be addicted to heroin if you have abused opioids
- Nearly 80% of people using heroin misused prescription opioids before they did heroin
This episode of Dr. Phil
airs Friday. Watch more here.TELL DR. PHIL YOUR STORY: Is Dr. Phil your only hope?
Doctors Shed Light On The Opioid Crisis In America