July 13, 2005
Improving your self-esteem is a lot of work. Start by asking yourself these questions.
1. Is your self-esteem based on what others think of you?
2. Do you do things to make other people happy, even if it makes you feel bad?
3. Do you have a hard time being happy for others when they succeed?
4. Do you call yourself names like “stupid” or “dummy” when you make mistakes — or sometimes even when you don’t?
5. Do you have a hard time taking risks?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, your self-concept or self-esteem may be distorted. If you answered yes to three or more, then you are not living authentically.