January 12, 2011
Whether it's drug use, sex or overspending, do you wonder if your behavior is crossing the line into addiction? Dr. Gary Stollman, Ph.D., is a psychotherapist who helps individuals overcome self-defeating patterns of behavior. He gives 10 key signs of having an addiction:
1) Recurrent failure (pattern) to resist impulses.
2) Frequently engaging in those behaviors to a greater extent or over a longer period of time than intended.
3) Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to stop, reduce or control those behaviors.
4) Inordinate amount of time spent in obtaining the object of addiction and/or engaging in or recovering from the behavior.
5) Preoccupation with the behavior or preparatory activities.
6) Frequently engaging in behavior when expected to fulfill occupational, academic, domestic or social obligations.