Do you fear that you’re raising a spoiled brat? Dr. Phil and Betsy Brown Braun, child development and behavior specialist and author of You’re Not the Boss of Me
, suggest the following strategies to improve your discipline techniques and help establish a healthy bond with your child:
How to Eliminate Spoiling Your Child
- Set firm, consistent boundaries for your child.
- Encourage your child to work for something he wants.
- Don’t let shopping be the time you spend with your child.
Parenting Tips for Communication
- Optimal distance for communication between two people is two to four feet.
- Get down to your child’s level. Eye-to-eye communication levels out the playing field.
- Beware of your anger.
- Don’t talk over your child.
How to Teach Respect
- Listen to your child.
- Have clear limits and enforce them.
- Speak to the behavior, not the child.
How to Teach Responsibility
- Stick to commitments and insist your child do the same.
- Teach your child about obligations.
- Allow your child to experience the consequence of not making responsible choices.
How to Teach Self-Reliance
- Teach your child how to make decisions for himself.
- Give your child feedback about what went right.
- Develop daily rituals that don’t change.
How to Teach Honesty
- Honest parents raise honest children.
- Love your child unconditionally.
- When it’s done, let it go.