A recent rise in teen deaths by suicide has parents and educators concerned. Is your loved one at risk? Dr. Phil sheds light on common myths.
- Suicide always occurs without any warning signs.
- Once people decide to die by suicide, there is nothing you can do to stop them.
- Suicide only strikes people of a certain gender, race, financial status, age, etc.
- People who attempt suicide and survive will not attempt suicide again.
- People who attempt suicide are crazy.
- People who attempt suicide are weak.
- You should never ask people who are suicidal if they are thinking about suicide because talking about it will give them the idea.
- Young people never think about suicide because they have their entire life ahead of them.
- There is little correlation between alcohol or drug abuse and suicide.
- People who are suicidal do not seek help.
- Only depressed kids attempt suicide.
- Telling someone to cheer up usually helps.
- It's best to keep someone's suicidal feelings a secret.
- If someone promised to seek help, your job is done.